setting up network interface via ifconfig....

Installing a qnx 4.24 system from scratch… when trying to set up my network interface I run…
ifconfig en1 142.130.100.50 netmask 2555.255.0.0
as per the previous install…
but when I attempt to do so I receive the following error message…
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

Any ideas as to what’s causing this…

Thanks…

Is the network driver running? From memory qnx 4.24 installation isn’t very good at detecting NIC model automaticaly.

Post the output of sin

there is a ‘supported hardware’ link at www.qnx.com that matches the hardware with the appropriate driver.
qnx.com/developers/hardware_ … index.html

start the correct driver in your sysinit.[node] or from terminal. after that, go on with ifconfig etc.

Good luck ! Helge

Alright the problem appears to be that my network card is not initializing properly… “Net.ether905” does not appear in the “sin” readout… Qnx 4.24 does not have the Net.ether905, but I have put a copy it into the bin folder and I do try to initialize it in with sysinit.1 file… Is there something I’m forgeting to do with the initialization of the nic…

(Yes I know it would be easier just to upgrade Qnx to a higher version, but I’m a student on workterm with the gov. so not really an option…)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Just so you know upgrade to QNX.425 is free.

I’m not sure all QNX4.24 network driver are compatible with QNX4.25 Net, you’ve been warn ;-)

Try to manually start the network driver with verbose option and post the output.

Make sure Net and Socket are running.

You may be able to get around this by copying “Net” from the same place where you got Net.ether905 so that they can work in pairs …

If you try to use Net.ether905 from 4.25, copy also “Net”, “nettrap”, and “netinfo”. Then try to start your network with “nettrap start” (or “nettrap query” to see if it try to start properly). I have done the same in the past and it worked (but I don’t remember what was the exact 4.25 version I have grabbed those utils from).

nettrap is evil, I wouldn’t use it in a production environment. It works for some, for other it can crash the PC

Thats true but it can sometimes help to find out how to start network.But I also wouldn’t recomend to use it in production environment permanently.