Heeeeeeeeeelllpppppp....

I’m relatively new for QNX…and I forgot the password for my system at work…is really important for me…Could some one give me an idea how could I break the “system”…to enter into the system withouot installing again the system…PLease

Here’s what the new User’s Guide suggests:

If you forget your password, ask the system administrator (root user) to assign a new password to your account. Only root can do this.

In general, no one can retrieve your old password from the /etc/shadow file. If your password is short or a single word, your system administrator – or a hacker – can easily figure it out, but you’re better off with a new password.

If you’re the system administrator, and you’ve forgotten the password for root, you need to find an alternate way to access the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files in order to reset the root password. Some possible ways to do this are:

• Boot the system from another disk or device where you can log in as root (such as from a QNX Momentics PE installation CD-ROM), and, from there, manually reset the password.

• Access the necessary files from the root account of another Neutrino machine, using Qnet. For more information, see Using Qnet for Transparent Distributed Processing.

• Remove the media on which the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow are stored and install it on another Neutrino machine from which you can modify the files.

• In the case of an embedded system, build a new image that contains new passwd and shadow files, and then transfer it to your target system.

Wow Steve, you need to hang out here more. The rest of us can’t compete with those answers. :slight_smile:

Welcome, by the way. ;)

Of course the fact this is in the QNX2/QNX4 forum might mean that the user is using QNX2/4. On the other hand, most of your answers work there as well.

You’d think that reading would be a prerequisite of writing, wouldn’t you?