6.3 NC

well i hope some kinda of alternative to the 4000$ pe edition arises (for cheeper of course) but if not i understand why it is unlikly. but one can always home :slight_smile:

mario,
Itā€™s difficult to argue with that, I just hope QNX works something out, however with my world beating plan (:wink: Company X would not be interested in the $200 version as they are only allowed to develop x86 apps for desktop use, no embedded stuff. But I see where youā€™re coming from, QSS is not going to bust a gut to sell us something for less money.

Maybe QSS could work out some kind of a license for purely desktop use, to make sure the embedded users still get the full version, Iā€™m not sure how that would work though.

Hmmā€¦

Another way to look at this is you guys blew it.

There are a few of us regulars who were using QNX from before there was an NC version and will continue to use it afterwards. (so we donā€™t count ;) )

When QSS introduced the RTP version of QNX 6 and decided to make it available for non-commercial use, they were embarking on the great experiment. Those of us who supported it said that it will help customers because there will be a larger pool of potential employees who already know QNX and these users will give QNX a higher profile. These users may even be able to give us cool new software and port code which we donā€™t have time to do ourselves.

Well we are now leading up to the 3rd major release of QNX since then and in the big picture it appears QSS has decided that the benefit gained by a NC release wasnā€™t worth the effort.

This is not to say that there isnā€™t a core group of NC users who have committed a lot of time and effort to support the community in one way or another - they have and in most cases we all know who they are.

So in the end, QSS gave the community the original release and two major releases to follow, a chance to prove that there was value in a non-commercial release.

And in the end, you blew it.

Rick (stirring the pot) ā€¦

Iā€™ve heard that before and I see what you are saying. The problem was, of course, people got their appetites wet then saw the cost (never minding what you get for it). If there is no NC, I bet weā€™ll lose a lot of users (not me, batch).

So what? The question is will QSS loose (important) customers? I think not.

Must say I belive that QSS choice for 6.3 will be great.
First off, itā€™ll please all embedded guys evaluating 6.3 since they will be able to get a FULLY WORKING (including IDE and everything) qnx copy for a timelimit, if they decide they want to try it longer, they can contact a sales rep.
NC users will also be able to download the eval and try the funky PE features for a limited time, then itā€™ll automatically downgrade to something similar to the current NC edition.

Itā€™ll be less stuff for QSS to maintain, which is good, they can focus on more features instead, and the (small) active community will still be happy (or happier :smiley: )