onboard network card woes

I have a system with an Intel D865GLC motherboard, which has onboard Intel PRO/1000 CT ethernet. This system is running QNX 6.1 (Why 6.1 and not a more recent release is a matter of lab dogma). QNX 6.1 does not like the onboard ethernet one bit, and its not working. (I would be more informative, but this is my first time working with QNX and i’m not exactly sure how to go about troubleshooting this).

If it helps, a possibly relevant snippit of pci -v:

Class = Network (Ethernet)
Vendor ID = 8086h, Intel Corporation
Device ID = 1019h, Unknown Unknown
PCI index = 0h
Class Codes = 020000h
Revision ID = 0h
bus number = 1
Device number = 1
Function num = 0
Status Reg = 238h
Command Reg = 7h
Header type = 0h Single-function
Latency timer = 0h
Cache Line Size = 10h un-cacheable
PCI Mem Address = ff8e0000h 32-bit length 131072 enabled
PCI IO Address = ac00h length 32 enabled
Subsystem Vendor ID = 8086h
Subsystem ID = 303bh
Max Lat = 0ns
Min Gnt = 255ns
PCI Int Pin = Int A
Interrupt Line = 10
Capabilities Pointer = dch
Capability ID = 1h
Capabilities = c822h - 29002000h

Is there anyone who can tell me how to get this setup working?
The motherboard only has 3 PCI slots, all of which are needed by other hardware, so popping in another network card is not a viable solution. The onboard needs to work.

Thanks for your help

Iniari

I don’t think Gigbit ethernet is supported in 6.1.
It is supported in the latest version last I heard.

Thanks for the reply noc-

That’s good news- I just put QNX 6.2.1 (which is the latest version to my knowledge?) onto the box.

Unfortunately the results were still the same =l

Looking through Intel’s documentation I noticed that the onboard PRO/1000 CT card bypasses the pci bus entirely, going through its own proprietary bus. (Necessarily so, since the PCI bus can’t handle gigabit ethernet bandwidth, let alone that plus the rest of the PCI devices).

But I’m confused because there is still a report for the device generated from the QNX “pci” command… Is the board/BIOS lying to get QNX to treat it as a standard pci device? If so, how far does that illusion go- does it fully support the PCI specification?

sigh

I’m thinking that if it truly is possible to treat this thing as if it were a PCI device then I could, in theory, write device drivers for it myself… provided I knew how to write a network device driver in QNX.

Anyone able to help?

Iniari

This device is supported with 6.3.0.

…checks watch: Is it 6.3 time yet?

Give 'em about 3.0e6 seconds

You are going to make an english major figure that out? egads!

Twenty minutes, got it.

no, 34 days. See, I can’t do math.

:slight_smile: