fs-cifs and USB problems

Hi,
Two distinct problems to share today…

1. I’ve got a USB trackball, on running devu-uhci, it lights up, and appears ‘on’, but on running ‘devu-mouse -v’ , there are no errors but the trackball does not work, nor does a USB mouse (from a Sun). With the trackball plugged in ‘usb’ returns:

Device Address : 1
Vendor : 0x045e (Microsoft)
Product : 0x0023 (Microsoft Trackball OpticalA)
Class : 0x00 (Independant per interface)

Any ideas why this would not work?

1. fs-cifs - I’ve got a Samba mount on a Solaris box, fs-cifs can mount it no problem, and I can read and write files to the mount no probs. But if I leave my machine idle for a few minutes, on using the mounted volume again, any reads/writes freeze indefinitley and so do any operations on the Terminal. Sometimes I can get it to unfreeze by slaying the app that was attempting to write/read (i.e. ped) and then everything is sweet again, until it freezes again, then the slay procedure must be repeated. Is fs-cifs designed for Windows servers only or something?

Any clues/tips/hunches appreciated.

Garry

1. Check syslog for error messages from fs-cifs. Are you running tcpip or ttcpip stack?

syslog did not have anything at all in it, sloginfo only had:

Jun 09 23:18:03 2 5 0 scsi_interpret_sense: path=1, target=0, lun=0, cam_status=c4, scsi_status=2
Jun 09 23:18:03 2 5 0 scsi_interpret_sense: error=70, sense=2, asc=3a, ascq=1
Jun 09 23:18:03 2 5 0 scsi_interpret_sense: ASC_MEDIA_NOT_PRESENT
Jun 09 23:18:03 2 5 0 scsi_interpret_sense: path=1, target=0, lun=0, cam_status=c4, scsi_status=2

I’m running tcpip.

All other networking is fine, and the NFS to the Sun works OK. I have a Powerbook which can use the Sun’s Samba without problem, so I don’t think it’s that.

Cheers

Garry

The fs-cifs stale mounts isn’t uncommon, but I am not sure how to fix it since I have never seen it myself.

The mouse/trackball issue is likely due to devu-mouse not supporting the full HID spec properly, but only PS/2 over USB. So look for io-hid and devi-hid docs and use those and it will function.