sin information related to timers

Hello,

I’m divakar. I’m using QNX 4.25, watcom compiler 10.6.
We have developed a software. When we run that software, I have noticed that in system info, in timers informatin, lot of timers are shown.
i.e. sin rtimers

But in the software we don;t have any timers created/used. We have few sleep() calls.

Can any one help me in understanding what this indicates.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Divakar

Hello Divakar,

You mean lots of timer for your program (not just for the whole system) . How much timer is there?

sleep/delay only creates a timer once I beleive (assuming you are not using threads, which would create havoc since sleep isn’t thread safe). I beleive select() can also create create a timer (not sure). Nothing else comes to mind.

My guess is you think you aren’t creating timer, but you must be somewhere, are you using third party library?

Hello Mario and group,

Thanks for a wonderful answer. That really lead us to the solution.

This time I have a query regarding Virtual Packet Interface.
We are using VPI as an IP Filter. So we are taking some packets and delaying them for some time and giving it back to the TCP/IP stack. And a few, we drop them using vp_mfree().
But we have noticed an error message,
vp_freepkt(): Bad file descriptor.

Can any one help me in understanding what this indicates.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Divakar

What was the problem? Just curious.

As for VPI, sorry can’t help, never used it.

You often get a “Bad File Descriptor” error when the resource manager you are talking to dies, or perhaps in a different case, you use a file descriptor which was already closed.

I didn’t even know there was a VPI api for QNX4, so like Mario, I can’t speak to specifics.

Rick…

Rick it’s part of TCP/IP 5.0