QNX6 + Nedit 5.3 + XFree86 4.3 = mouse not seen

Months ago I had Nedit running on QNX 6.2.x. Now I am trying to implement Nedit on QNX 6.3 Momentics Professional and have a problem with the mouse not being discovered. Here’s a summary:

1. Downloaded XFree86 4.3 from openQNX section of sourceforge –
    (see: sourceforge.net/project/showfile … p_id=21249)
  2. Same for Nedit 5.3
  3. Stumped for details on installation, I search openqnx-developers
    e-mail archives for guidance and found some, thanks to Frank Liu.
  4. Output from running ‘XFree86 -configure’ says mouse driver not found
    and “edit the file [/root/XF86Config.new] and correct the device.”

Apparently my video card (ATI Rage-based) was discovered OK, also keyboard but not mouse. (Keyboard and mouse both come in on PS/2 connector on my Industrial PC Products board.)

Question: Photon loads the mouse driver (thanks to inputtrap?) but not XFree 86 – why not?

Question: Mr. Liu references a future, detailed installation guide by “dmi” – is this now available?

Thanks for anyone’s success stories on the QNX6+XFree+Lesstif+Nedit install.

try “startx” (or /usr/X11R6/bin/startx if /usr/X11R6/bin is not already in your PATH). It should start the mouse driver for you.

Unfortunately, the mouse ID problem seems pretty deep (to me).
I don’t have a clear picture of all the files and interactions, but some parts of XFreeConfigure-4 and /root/.xinputtrap are totally off the mark with respect to mouse presence.

I have run ‘inputtrap query’ and used the result (…/devi-hirun kbd fd -d/dev/kbd ps2 mousedev) in .xinputtrap with no improvement.

I have tried to kick off devi-hirun prior to startx but the best outcome without an error message was a totally non-responsive keyboard.

I’m still looking for the comprehensive installation instructions from “dmi” as mentioned by Frank Liu.

Thanks anyway. I think I’ll use ped in the meantime.

I’m just here to plug 2 editors. Why not use Workspace as your photon editor (awesome app) and/or Midnight Commander for console mode editing? Both can be found in the www repository.

Again, just my 2 cents worth :smiley:

Useful tip on Workspace! I’ll give a work-out later but first look is very impressive. What a contrast: quick and easy download/installation. Midnight Commander also works right out of the box – a desirable alternative to the “deprecated” QED editor.
Thanks, wicked, for the advice.
Bob

try to slay the devi-hirun and make sure none is running. rm /root/.xinputtrap and try “startx” again.

dmi’s document is at qnx.org.ru/article8.html Looks like he never had time to produce the English version. You can probably read it via the online russian to english translater like babelfish. BTW, that doc is for XFree 86 4.2 and the new 4.3 that you are using should take care of the devi-hirun stuff in the “startx” as you already found out.

On the other hand, if all you need is an editor, there are many Photon versions available as wicked suggested. Even if you want a X based editor like nedit, you can still run it under Photon, thanks to the XPhoton program by Garry. There are reasons to run XFree over Photon, but I am not sure if yours is one of them. Tell us more :slight_smile: