grub.conf question

I have 2 HDs. The first is partitioned into WinXP and Linux. The second disk is QNX 6.2 only. I currently have grub configured to give me the option of either booting into XP or Linux. Since I’ve added the slave disk, I’m trying to figuer out how to configure grub to give me the option to boot into QNX also. Here is my grub entry thus far:

title QNX 6.2
root (hd1,0)
rootnoverify
makeactive
chainloader +1

When I start booting into QNX, I see the commands echoed plus a “filesystem type unknown” message, and then after all that, “Press esc for .altboot”. Then…nothing.

Any ideas as to what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks.

First of all, rootnoverify should replace the root call (it will avoid the ‘filesystem unknown’ message.

If you are getting the ‘esc for .altboot…’ message, then AFAIK grub is working - it is passing control to QNXs 2nd stage loader. What does it do if you press esc?

Robert Muil.

Thanks. The ‘rootnoverify’ got rid of the error messages. But all I get in return in ‘esc for .altboot’ and a blinking cursor. Even if I hit escape, nothing happens. It just sits there, mocking my ignorance. Does it matter if I installed QNX on the disk when it was originally a master HD in its own system?

Thanks

How did your QNX get installed? What did you choose during installation when it asked about “boot loader”?

One thing you could try is to configure grub to “swap” the two hard drive, so that QNX will think it is on the first/master disk. Add/append the following to your grub.conf in the QNX section:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

So it looks something like this

title QNX 6.2 
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive 
chainloader +1 
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

QNX was installed from CD and I believe I selected the QNX boot loader. Is this a problem? Is there a chance I can make the change w/o having to re-install?

I’ll try the grub “map” functions this weekend and hopefully report some success. Thanks!

Well, one week later and a new power supply installed, the problem is still happening. The “map” commands now give me a " unrecognized command" error. So I’m guessing the problem has something to do with selecting the QNX bootloader when I originally created the disk. Is there a way to change this without having to re-install?

My mistake. I found a typo in the “map” commands. However, I not get the sequence of periods after the altboot prompt, but nothing else. The first time it worked, I got to the “searching for EIDE” line, and then it stopped. And now I can’t even get the copyright notice. Again, any ideas?

Thanks

The master boot record written by QNX installer would replace Grub’s one so you would see the QNX partition selector instead of Grub’s one. My guess is that QNX’s MBR went on to the other HDD, that’s a redundant MBR.

I’m not sure about 6.2.x but QNX 6.3.0 does install correctly to a second HDD. As for shifting the HDD afterwards, no idea, I haven’t got a second one around at the mo.

dloader may help?