Keyboard support

I am just gettign started writing my own buildfiles, etc. I have looked through several sample buildfiles, and notice that most either use a serial console for user input, or seem to use full-scale photon.

What I am looking for is a way to have a user sit at a standard pc, using the keyboard to interact with a relatively simple command-line program, so going the Photon route seems rather overkill, as I currently don’t even really need support for filesystems, network, etc.

Any suggestions? I have searched the QNX online documentation, however as I am very new to this, I have a feeling that I might not be searching using the right terms.

devc-con is a console driver for the PC. It supports “virtual” consoles ala Linux, which you can switch to with ctrl-alt- - the max number is specified by the -n argument, which defaults to 4.

Ok, is there something I am missing here? I have tried stripping down TestProg to a simple generic Hello World, I’ve tried stripping this down to where all it should do is put out a display_msg, I cannot seem to get mkifs to accept it without utterly barfing(lots of gibberish, a few error messages, scrolling way too fast for me to see), and taking the terminal window with it.

Buildfile:

[virtual=x86,bios] .bootstrap = {
startup-bios
PATH=/proc/boot:/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/proc/boot:/lib procnto
}
[+script] .script = {
devc-con -e &
reopen /dev/con1
# display a message
display_msg “Welcome to the QNX Neutrino Embedded environment”
display_msg “Starting TestProg”
#start TestProg
TestProg
}

[type=link] /usr/lib/ldqnx.so.2=/proc/boot/libc.so
[perms=+r,+x]
libc.so

[data=copy]
[perms=+r,+x]
devc-con
TestProg

How are you invoking mkifs?

It writes to stdout by default, so you either need to supply an outfile name, or redirect stdout to your new file.

Rick…

I am using ‘mkifs -v test.bld test.ifs’

What version of QNX are you using? I just cut and pasted your build file into a file here, and other than complaining about not finding TestProg, it worked fine.

Rick…

Oddly enough, today, when I booted it up this morning, it worked perfectly fine, even though yesterday I must have rebooted about 5 times, having the same problems.
Thanks for the help, everyone!