Backing up smaller partition of QNX 425, restore to larger.

Hello,

When I first installed my QNX partition, I put it on much too small of a partition (around 400 MB) My goal is to back up the data, resize the partition to 2 GB, then restore the data.

I do have a FAT (DOS) partition on this drive as well, just to transfer files back and forth from QNX. I did find a utility on this website that will allow me to transfer files from Windows to QNX, I’m quite anxious to try that…

I was thinking that I could mount the DOS partition in QNX (having problems with this currently…) then backup to this partition.

I also have Win2k and XP on this hard drive. The PC is a Dell Inspiron 8600. I have this PC networked to another PC that is running W2K.

Could someone please offer the best (and hopefully simplest!!!) solution.

Thanx in advance,

Russ

You can just tar up the QNX filesystem onto the FAT. Re-partition the QNX partition to a larger one, dinit and mount it. Then untar the file back. You will need a QNX boot floppy.

Thank you, I will try that and report back.

Russ

noc,

I have played around most of the day trying to figure this out. I am not too experienced in the usage of tar. The FAT is mounted prior to the tar command of course. The syntax I am trying to use is:

tar -c -v /dev/hd0t77 /dos/c

When I excecute this command, the result is strange characters scrolling by with plenty of beeps.

Is this even remotely close to being correct?? I have read (and re-read many times…) the help on tar as is does not seem that inuitive to me, or maybe I am trying to make this too complicated!!

The partition is 90% full, which probably isn’t helping things either.

Any ideas??

Thanx,
Russ

first, you need to make sure you have enough free space on /dos/c to hand the backup of the QNX partition.

tar cvf /dos/c/backup.tar /

oh, wait, maybe the above will tar up the /dos directory also since it is under /. it may be possible to “exclude” a directory in the tar, but I don’t know if QNX 4’s tar is so advanced. A quick “use tar” doesn’t show anything interesting.

What abou this:
find / -xdev | cpio -odm > /dos/c/backup.cpio
(the -xdev in find will cause find to build a list of all files under / but will NOT cross to other mount points, such as /dos/c )

To restore
cpio -idm < /dos/c/backup.cpio

noc,

I have solved the problem of getting my QNX install onto a bigger partition. It involved freeing up some space on my hard drive, creating another QNX partition (type 78 ), copying everything from the old partition to the new, then copying licenses over. I spoke with my sys admin for quite a while today, and he helped me out. The steps he had me perform are as follows:

fdisk /dev/hd0
delete the partition of type 15
insert a new partition of type 78
save
mount -p /dev/hd0
dinit -h /dev/hd0t78
mount /dev/hd0t77 /hdorg
mount /dev/hd0t78 /hdnew
cp -cRv /hdorg /hdnew
license /hdorg/etc/licenses /hdnew/etc/licenses
umount /dev/hdnew
umount /dev/hdorg
umount /dev/hd0
fdisk /dev/hd0
delete the partition type 77
delete the partition type 78
insert the written down cylinder entries for partition type 15 (at the same partition as it was)
insert a new partition of type 77 with the written down cylinder entries for partition type 78 (at the same partition the QNX partition 77 was originally)
mount -p /dev/hd0
mount -p /dev/hd0t77 /hd
df
to check whether you have now a bigger QNX partition

The process above yielded what I was looking for!!

One small problem, it will not boot…

I did a changenode to the node that my company requires me to have. I would think that this would have created a boot image, but it still won’t boot…

I have seen this problem before, but I cannot remember what we did to fix it!!

During the boot process, all I see before it reboots is:

Press ESC for alternate OS …

All I get each time is the two dots after the message.

Any suggestions???

A very grateful thanx in advance.

Russ

Your step one is correct, but there is no need for step two (switching the t77 and t78). Doing step two will probably screw up the boot section of the partitions.

Instead of step two, you could just make a new boot image with t78 as the root disk, and copy the new boot image to .boot on the boot partition.

I just looked up the manual of “dinit”. There is an option -b that you can use to re-install the boot section without destroying the filesystem. You can probably try it with your new t77, and then copy again the boot image over to .boot

noc,

Is the “boot image” under /boot/images/hard.xx ?? Probably a stupid question I realize…just want to be sure.