QNX installation problem, need help!

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie in QNX…

I have download QNXnc621.iso and burned a CD disk, but how can I install it? From CD disk?

However, I uncompressed QNXnc621.iso to C:\qnx, and then did the following jobs:

1. click setup.exe and create floppy boot disk;
  2. restart from floppy disk;
  3. after some minutes, it displays:
    /.diskroot file for root not found on any filesystem
    starting with safe mode
    Unable to locate fs-pkg

what is wrong here? :frowning:

any answer is welcome.

thanks

Sorry, I forgot something.

When I burned Qnxnc621.iso, I chose “data copy” instead of “burn CD from image”. Maybe this is the problem. If so, what should I do?

thanks

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie in QNX…

I have download QNXnc621.iso and burned it, but I can not boot my computr from CD.

However, I uncompressed QNXnc621.iso to C:\qnx, and then did the following jobs:

1. click setup.exe and create floppy boot disk;
  2. restart from floppy disk;
  3. after some minutes, it displays:
    /.diskroot file for root not found on any filesystem
    starting with safe mode
    Unable to locate fs-pkg

what is wrong here?

When I burned Qnxnc621.iso, I chose “data copy” instead of “burn CD from image”. Maybe this is the problem. If so, what should I do?

any answer is welcome.

thanks

yes definitely.

Thanks Mario.

What should I do?

May I copy the ISO image from CD to harddisk, and then burn it again with option “burn CD ISO image”?

Is this a correct solution ?

or I have to download ISO image from zero. and burn it?

thank you.

Yes, that’s correct.

No, you don’t need to download again.

Thanks a lot, noc.

I will try it.

Hello,

I tried to install QNXNC 6.2 on my primary slave disk(I have a primary master harddisk which holds windows and linux). I used the following methods, but they didn’t work.

1. install from CD with ISO image, computer displayed :

Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
1. FD 1.44MB System Type - (00)
Hit ESC for .altbootD

system halt!!

1. install from floppy disk, computer displayed:

Hit ESC for .altboot …
Press the spare bar to input boot operation
(I didn’t do it)
Detected EIDE, Scaning for devices
/. diskroot file for root not found on any filesystem
starting with safe mode
Unable to locate fs-pkg

system halt!!

1. install from floppy disk, computer displayed:

Hit ESC for .altboot …
Press the spare bar to input boot operation
(I did this time, press F10–force QNX to be installed in some patition)
Unable to mount /dev/hd1
(this is my primary slave)
After that, I tried to install from floppy disk against, computer displayed:
Detected EIDE, Scaning for devices
Unable to mount a QNX4 filesystem as /fs/hd1-qnx4 on dev/hd1t79(Corrupted filesystem detected)

What’s wrong here?

Please give an advice.

I am not sure if you can install QNX on a slave disk and still make it bootable. But, let’s first make sure you have a good QNX installation CD. What are the files on the root directory of the CD? Have you verified the cksum/md5sum ? You may have to burn it with a slower speed as evanh suggested.

Thank you very much for your rapid response, noc.

1. There isn’t a root directory in my CD. I just have
    directories:
    bin, boot, install, NCEULA, notes, nto, rep621, repository,
    and some files:
    autorun.inf, cd-log, instflop.dat, qmakedsk.exe, qnx.ico, setup.exe, setup.ini.

2. I checked the CD ISO image with md5sum and have the following result:
    F:\md5sum qnxnc621.iso
    0489c116af49f3aca814df33a6a3e13e *qnxnc621.iso

3. Witing speed is 4x600KB/s when I burned ISO image.

In addition, my computer is an old computer, which is PII 233MHZ, has 32 RAM, BCD 24x CD-ROM, and was bought in 1998.

Which condition is failure reason?

If primary slave doesn’t work, what can I do?
Can I install QNXnc621 in D:, which is DOS patition(FAT16) and has free space more than 1G? and HOW?

thanks

1. Good, that looks correct. btw, that is the root directory of that disc.

2. Checking the iso is not much help as it’s usually the burn that causes the errors.

3. Looks good.

Your setup is lacking RAM, you may find it difficult to run much on the desktop.

Where is each drive on the IDE chains? A typical setup is one HDD as primary master and one CDD as secondary master. This is important because the QNX driver will not reconise a slave if there is no master.

Many thanks, evanh.

Primary Master: 20G(C:\ 2.0G, D:\ 5.0G, E:\ 5.0G, others for linux, OS: windows 98)
Primary Slave: 3.2G, nothing is there.

What should I do?

thank you again.

openqnx.com/Article213.html

Where is the CDROM Drive? That is important too.

Thank you very much, noc and evanth.

This is my installation experience.

I boot my computer from CD and it displays:

F1 - run from Hard Disk
F2 - run from CD
F3 - Install QNX to a new disk partition

It is fine when I choose F2. But I can not install QNX. The following is what’s happend.

press F3:
This installation will create a partition on your hardisk and create a bootable QNX image.
F1 - Continue
F2 - ae verbose (debug) mode

press F1:
end user license agreement
press F1 accept:
Please enter the disk you would like to install QNX to. The disk must be bootable from your BIOS.
F1: /dev/hd0
F2: /dev/hd1

press F1:
F1 - Allow the QNX partition to be anywhere on the disk
F2 - Keep the QNX partition below 8.4G

press F1:
The disk does not have room for a QNX partition.There is no free partition entry or there is less than 60 MB free.
F1 Display partion table and delete a partition …
F2 Re-partition your driver to make room for QNX …
F3 install QNX as a file inside another operating system …

press any:
Partition installation aborted!
please remove the install floppy and CD, then reboot your machine!

However, I have 1.0G free space in primary disk which is marked as unallocated. see attachement.

I followed this paper openqnx.com/Article213.html, bur it noes not work for my case.
“Copy all files from E:\boot\fs*.* to X:\Program Files\qnx\boot\fs\ directory (you have to use this path).”
The path “X:\Program files…” means C:\Program files or any partition, for example, D:\Program files, E:\Program files, whatever?

My Cd Drive is F:, it seems good.

what’s wrong here?

thank you for your answer.

It doesn’t matter is it F: or whatever in windows. What does matter is did you put jumpers on CD drive that way that the drive is master (seems you have the CD drive alone connected to second IDE channel, and it must be configured to be MASTER).

If you want to install QNX on the second (primary slave) drive you have to select F2. But anyhow, you have an empty “extended” partition on second drive, so you have to click on that lightblue frame in a Partition Magic and delete that. For first drive you will have to resize extended partition to move free “unpartitioned” space outside of extended partition, if you want to install QNX on the first drive (I still didn’t get where you want to place the QNX partition).
Everything else, depends on what loader you plan to use for booting your systems (GRUB, LILO, QNX loader, Windows NT loader, etc.)

Your free space in within the extended (marked as “logical” in partition magic), which QNX doesn’t like. I would suggest you use partition magic to shrink the extended partition, and make some free space in between the C: and the extended. This should make the QNX installer happy.

Yes, whatever, as long as it is FAT or FAT32.

Thanks a lot, edik and noc.

I will try it. But If I want to boot my system from LILO, how can I do?

thanks again.

When I install QNX, I have three choices:

[i]F1 Install the QNX partition boot loader. It will promptyou on boot to select which partition(OS) to boot? If your partition may start above 8.4G we recommend this choice.

F2 Install the QNX partition boot loader for machines with an older BIOS(before 1996/1997). It should not be used with drives greater than 8.4G.

F3 Use your existing boot loader which may already provide this capability? Examples include System Commander or LILO. If it does not provide this capability you will only be able to boot the currently set active partition. I you partition starts above 8.4G, this existing loader will need to use the new extended BIOS disk calls.

Choosing F1 will write the QNX partition loader to your primary hard disk. If you installed QNX to another hard disk the loader will be written to it as well in case you later decide to make it your primary hard disk .[/i]
From the above information, it seems work if I install QNX to disk 2(primary slave), and I have to choose F1 in this case. I did not try that yet.

Now I have LILO to noot my system to windows and linux, and it works nice. If I want to keep it to boot my system, which one do I have to choose? What is the condition for that - I have to keep QNX partition in between C: and extended partition?

If F1 is chosen, may my system boot correctly and can I choose from the loader to boot into other systems? I read a paper which says “you can not install QNX boot loader to your primary partition, otherwise you may be unable to boot into other systems”. (see attachement)

Which one should I choose?

:laughing: Thank you everyone,

I finally installed QNX in my system. However, there are tow problems/questions.

:frowning: 1. When I installed and set up monitor solution, it was set to 1024 x 768. After installing, I feel the font is very small. How can I change mode to 800 x 600 or other solution?

:frowning: 2. Which software packages should be installed?

thanks.