SMC 9432 ethernet issues

Attached are three files which reproduce the problem

rec.c
send.c
makefile

Less than a page of C code in each which demonstrates most of the symptoms.

HARDWARE
I used 2 of my standard computers, one running “send” and the other running “rec”. One system has three 171 boards, the other two 171 boards and one 172. I move a single ethernet cable between the 171 and 172 boards on the one system changing the network mapping with netstart.

USAGE
First run rec on one system and then send on the other. It doesn’t matter which system runs rec or send. I invoked as follows

rec 5100
send 128.1.12.239 5100 100000000

rec listens at port 5100 and is on host 128.1.12.239

send sends to socket 128.1.12.239:5100 100MB in 4K blocks

You can set the ports and IP as required for your setup.

I leave netstat -Ien4 -w1 running in a separate window

When using the 171 board, I average over 2Mbytes/sec which is about 1800 packets/sec received and 600 sent. Each second of info from netstat is very consistent with the others.

When using the 172 board, it works the same as the 171 for a while. Sometimes after 50 MB of transfer I have problems, Other times after a few hundred MB. Once the problem occurs, it always occurs right away. Then packet throughput become very erratic and often drops to zero for seconds at a time.

Hopefully, this simple code will fail for you also.

Thanks!
Jack

Thanks for the programs. I will run the test and get back to you.

Previously, Jack Rosenbloom wrote in qdn.public.qnx4:

rec.c
send.c
makefile

HARDWARE
I used 2 of my standard computers, one running “send” and the other running “rec”. One system has three 171 boards, the other two 171 boards and one 172. I move a single ethernet cable between the 171 and 172 boards on the one system changing the network mapping with netstart.

USAGE
First run rec on one system and then send on the other. It doesn’t matter which system runs rec or send. I invoked as follows

rec 5100

When using the 171 board, I average over 2Mbytes/sec which is about 1800 packets/sec received and 600 sent. Each second of info from netstat is very consistent with the others.

When using the 172 board, it works the same as the 171 for a while. Sometimes after 50 MB of transfer I have problems, Other times after a few hundred MB. Once the problem occurs, it always occurs right away. Then packet throughput become very erratic and often drops to zero for seconds at a time.

Thanks!
Jack
[ attachment ]

[ attachment ]

Make file for CASPER imager control

DEBUG_INFO SMALL_MODEL pentium_code protected_instructions

CFLAGS = -g -ms -5r -Oi

all : send rec

send : send.o makefile
cc -g3
-lsocket
-o send
send.o

rec : rec.o makefile
cc -g3
-lsocket
-o rec
rec.o

I have changed your program so that it sends more data and have been running
it the whole of yesterday without any problems. I have run the same configuration
that you have in a 450Mhz Pentium III as well as in a 166Mhz Pentium and I see
no problems at all! This sounds to me as though it could be some hardware
incompatibility. Is it possible for you to send us your hardware (PC and
network adapters)?

Thanks, Hugh.

Previously, Hugh Brown wrote in qdn.public.qnx4:

Thanks for the programs. I will run the test and get back to you.

Previously, Jack Rosenbloom wrote in qdn.public.qnx4:

rec.c
send.c
makefile

HARDWARE

USAGE

rec 5100

Thanks!
Jack

I ready appreciate your efforts. I should be able to lend you equipment for a couple weeks. Please send me an exact shipping address and instructions. I will send a PC out this week.

Thanks again,
Jack

Hugh Brown wrote:

I have changed your program so that it sends more data and have been running
it the whole of yesterday without any problems. I have run the same configuration
that you have in a 450Mhz Pentium III as well as in a 166Mhz Pentium and I see
no problems at all! This sounds to me as though it could be some hardware
incompatibility. Is it possible for you to send us your hardware (PC and
network adapters)?

Thanks, Hugh.