How I fdisk the HD?

Can somebody tell me what’s the difference between the primary partition and
extended partiotion?I want to install the win98/win2000/QNX6 to a same
HD,so,shall I have to obtain three primary partitions?To the extent of my
thinking,an OS must be stay in a primary partition ,at least its loader
shall do,am I right?if yes,which tool can I use to create three primary
partitions each for an OS?Must QNX6 stay in a seperate primary partition?
thanx.

Hi ChaoLI,

ChaoLi <xxs102@sohu.com> wrote in article <9nqlsk$eq3$1@inn.qnx.com>…

Can somebody tell me what’s the difference between the primary partition and
extended partiotion?
Master boot record (MBR) of HD includes the partition table. There are four partitions entry

records into MBR’s table. Some entry can be a pointer to extended partition record in order to
allow you more then four partitions on HD. Pointer to extended partition has FileSystemCode==5.
Each extended partition record has at most two entries. One will contain partition entry record
that identifies location and size of the extended (logical drive, DOS partition) partition. The
second (if any) will have a FileSystemCode==5 indicating the location of another extended partition
record. And so on…

I want to install the win98/win2000/QNX6 to a same
HD,so,shall I have to obtain three primary partitions?
It is one of variants. Note DOS (win98) does not suppose the several primary partitions on HD.

Generally speaking, under DOS, you is able to creat one primary partition and all another will be
the logical drives in extended DOS partition.

To the extent of my
thinking,an OS must be stay in a primary partition ,at least its loader
shall do,am I right?
No. You need one loader to manage OS during start up. This one must be on the primary partition

that is marked as active or in MBR directly. The other OS own loaders can be on logical drives.

if yes,which tool can I use to create three primary
partitions each for an OS?Must QNX6 stay in a seperate primary partition?
Unfortunately, QNX6 must stay in a primary partition. There is some way to install QNX RTP into

extended partition (see “Partition trouble…” thread at qdn.public.qnxrtp.installation newsgroup),
but I can not advise that for new user.

I can advise the next way:
1/ Install win98. Use fdisk to creat only primary dos partition.
2/ Install win2k. Creat ntfs partition in a part of unused space and install win2k into ntfs.
You will have dual boot system at this point.
3/ Install QNX into the rest of unused space. Please read “RTP+NT dual boot system” thread at this
newsgroup (I discussed this problem at July) because you will have a really trouble…

Best Regards,
Eduard.

thanx.

hi,Eduard,thanks for your kind help…I’ll do my best to partition and
install just as your advice…thanks