hardware problem, S3 once more, sorry

Hi,

My mainboard has integrated video
Vendor: 5333h, S3 Incorporated
Dev ID: 8904h, 86C365/366 Trio3D

It’s only possible to use svga or vesa drivers under QNX 6.1 (and QNX 6.2).
My eyes hate to see 60Hz refreshed screen, so my question is
does anybody know some workaround for this graphic chip? Only to set
refresh rate 75Hz or more, I don’t need any aceleration. May be some other
driver do the job with this chip? May be someone has (or knows location on
the web of) the techical reference for this chip? All I need is the docu of
CRTC registers for developing of my own driver.

Thank you for any help.
Eduard
ed1k at openqnx.com

Have you tried to force use of the S3 driver (devg-s3.so)?
We have not had that hardware here, so I cannot say if it will
work or not.

If you haven’t tried it yet, edit the graphics enumerator file
(/etc/system/enum/devices/graphics) and add an entry for your device:

Look for the line with devg-s3.so and add a line with your PCI device id:

device(pci, ven=$(PCI_VEND_S3), dev=8904) # 86C365/366 Trio3D

Then you should reboot your system and when you restart Photon the
system will retrap to try the S3 driver.




ESL <somebody@esl.ca> wrote:
: Hi,

: My mainboard has integrated video
: Vendor: 5333h, S3 Incorporated
: Dev ID: 8904h, 86C365/366 Trio3D

: It’s only possible to use svga or vesa drivers under QNX 6.1 (and QNX 6.2).
: My eyes hate to see 60Hz refreshed screen, so my question is
: does anybody know some workaround for this graphic chip? Only to set
: refresh rate 75Hz or more, I don’t need any aceleration. May be some other
: driver do the job with this chip? May be someone has (or knows location on
: the web of) the techical reference for this chip? All I need is the docu of
: CRTC registers for developing of my own driver.

: Thank you for any help.
: Eduard
: ed1k at openqnx.com

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I tried to use S3 driver (and savage as well
:slight_smile:). It doesn’t work. Just black screen and system hangs. Very similar
effect I have under Windows NT4 even when I try to use driver marked to
support this chip (from hardware vendor’s CD). I brought my attension at
that fact that there are two different drivers for Windows 95, one for
Intel’s mainboards and second one for non-Intel’s. Windows 95 (driver for
Intel m/b from hardware vendor’s CD) and NT5 (chip detected by OS and
driver from M$) are working well, so there is no problem with hardware.
Just some small specific details of that video chip, I believe.

As for hardware, it’s IBM Personal Computer GL300 (PII-350) with S3 Trio3D
integrated to m/b. I bought this refurbished one for about $100CAD
recently, there are lots of them in Toronto’s computer stories :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, there is no even AGP slot on m/b to put another card, just
empty place for it :frowning:

Thank you,
Eduard.
ed1k at qnx-night.com


Michael Van Reenen <mvr@qnx.com> wrote in article
<arj9b4$n3b$1@nntp.qnx.com>…

Have you tried to force use of the S3 driver (devg-s3.so)?
We have not had that hardware here, so I cannot say if it will
work or not.

If you haven’t tried it yet, edit the graphics enumerator file
(/etc/system/enum/devices/graphics) and add an entry for your device:

Look for the line with devg-s3.so and add a line with your PCI device id:

device(pci, ven=$(PCI_VEND_S3), dev=8904) # 86C365/366 Trio3D

Then you should reboot your system and when you restart Photon the
system will retrap to try the S3 driver.




ESL <> somebody@esl.ca> > wrote:
: Hi,

: My mainboard has integrated video
: Vendor: 5333h, S3 Incorporated
: Dev ID: 8904h, 86C365/366 Trio3D

: It’s only possible to use svga or vesa drivers under QNX 6.1 (and QNX
6.2).
: My eyes hate to see 60Hz refreshed screen, so my question is
: does anybody know some workaround for this graphic chip? Only to set
: refresh rate 75Hz or more, I don’t need any aceleration. May be some
other
: driver do the job with this chip? May be someone has (or knows location
on
: the web of) the techical reference for this chip? All I need is the
docu of
: CRTC registers for developing of my own driver.

: Thank you for any help.
: Eduard
: ed1k at openqnx.com

I had good luck with xfree86 and IBM GL300
phinx should let you run photon applications if need too,

ESL <somebody@esl.ca> wrote:

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I tried to use S3 driver (and savage as well
:slight_smile:> ). It doesn’t work. Just black screen and system hangs. Very similar
effect I have under Windows NT4 even when I try to use driver marked to
support this chip (from hardware vendor’s CD). I brought my attension at
that fact that there are two different drivers for Windows 95, one for
Intel’s mainboards and second one for non-Intel’s. Windows 95 (driver for
Intel m/b from hardware vendor’s CD) and NT5 (chip detected by OS and
driver from M$) are working well, so there is no problem with hardware.
Just some small specific details of that video chip, I believe.

As for hardware, it’s IBM Personal Computer GL300 (PII-350) with S3 Trio3D
integrated to m/b. I bought this refurbished one for about $100CAD
recently, there are lots of them in Toronto’s computer stories > :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, there is no even AGP slot on m/b to put another card, just
empty place for it > :frowning:

Thank you,
Eduard.
ed1k at qnx-night.com


Michael Van Reenen <> mvr@qnx.com> > wrote in article
arj9b4$n3b$> 1@nntp.qnx.com> >…

Have you tried to force use of the S3 driver (devg-s3.so)?
We have not had that hardware here, so I cannot say if it will
work or not.

If you haven’t tried it yet, edit the graphics enumerator file
(/etc/system/enum/devices/graphics) and add an entry for your device:

Look for the line with devg-s3.so and add a line with your PCI device id:

device(pci, ven=$(PCI_VEND_S3), dev=8904) # 86C365/366 Trio3D

Then you should reboot your system and when you restart Photon the
system will retrap to try the S3 driver.




ESL <> somebody@esl.ca> > wrote:
: Hi,

: My mainboard has integrated video
: Vendor: 5333h, S3 Incorporated
: Dev ID: 8904h, 86C365/366 Trio3D

: It’s only possible to use svga or vesa drivers under QNX 6.1 (and QNX
6.2).
: My eyes hate to see 60Hz refreshed screen, so my question is
: does anybody know some workaround for this graphic chip? Only to set
: refresh rate 75Hz or more, I don’t need any aceleration. May be some
other
: driver do the job with this chip? May be someone has (or knows location
on
: the web of) the techical reference for this chip? All I need is the
docu of
: CRTC registers for developing of my own driver.

: Thank you for any help.
: Eduard
: ed1k at openqnx.com

Thanks, but I want Photon :slight_smile: Maybe you know something about this graphic
chip? Where I can look at the S3 Trio3D source of driver for X? Is it open
source?

Eduard.

liug <liug@mama.indstate.edu> wrote in article
<arlsf0$msk$1@inn.qnx.com>…

I had good luck with xfree86 and IBM GL300
phinx should let you run photon applications if need too,

phinx will allow you to run Photon using X drivers/servers…
if you are interested in writing a native photon graphics driver
for S3, you are welcome to read the xfree86 source code:
http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/


ESL <somebody@esl.ca> wrote:

Thanks, but I want Photon > :slight_smile: > Maybe you know something about this graphic
chip? Where I can look at the S3 Trio3D source of driver for X? Is it open
source?

Eduard.

liug <> liug@mama.indstate.edu> > wrote in article
arlsf0$msk$> 1@inn.qnx.com> >…
I had good luck with xfree86 and IBM GL300
phinx should let you run photon applications if need too,