how to compile source code correctly?????

hi,
i downloaded 7 files of XFree86 4.5.0 source code in the form of .tgz files (though first 3 are important). i tried following commands to build:
$ make World
$ make install
$ make install.man
i got X11 under /etc and X11R6 under /opt on QNX 6.3.1.
during compilation error messages were neglected and completed till end.
while working with binary file xf86-4301-qnx6-bin.tar.gz earlier X server was working. but this time content in X11 & in X11R6 are not the same as i got from binary image.
any kind of inputs are welcome for any changes are required in the process. my target is to get X server up from the source codes.

thanks,
marc

I don’t think XFree86 4.5.0 has been ported to QNX.

The last ported version was XFree86 4.3 and it was for QNX 6.2. It may or may not work for QNX 6.3.

I suggest you start by downloading XFree86 4.3 and applying the QNX patches from openqnx/sourceforge site.

i downloaded source files as well as the patch from source forge site and also executed the following steps from a shadow directory.
$ make World
$ make install
$ make install.man
does it needs any change for correct build process or am i right? if these steps are correct please let me know how shall i proceed next.

thanks,
marc

Your steps look good and complete.
There are no more additional works as far as build/install goes. You should be able to use it after that. If you don’t know how to use XFree86, please check the sourceforge mailing list.

after uncompressing all source files and the patch xphoton.4.3.src.tar i executed the following steps.
$ make World
$ make install
$ make install.man
then i set the lib & bin path to /opt/X11R6/lib & /opt/X11R6/bin. when i tried to start X server using the command “startx” system is giving the message :
no server “X” in PATH.
i checked in /opt/X11R6/bin, there is really no file called “X” or “XFree86” or “XFree86 displays”.
i tried with altering host.def which is creating more number of errors during compilation.
please suggest where do i need to make change for this problem.

thanks,
MARC

You will need to check the output from the “make World” and see if there are errors.
Your next step is to “fix” those errors.
Once you get a clean build, you can do “make install” and test again.

Good luck!

some files of xphoton.4.3 source code are causing errors as they are perl script files, from which some other .c files are supposed to generate.

as perl is not avilable as executable under /bin they are causing poblem.

i tried with perl.exe from cygwin putting under /bin in QNX thats not working out fr me.

perl 5.6.1 is ported fr QNX4.23A. currently perl is having stable version 5.8.7 and development version 5.9.2. these tar file contents allow fr configure, build, test & install perl in that paltform.i have already tried them on cygwin.

as i’m working on QNX 6.2 so i’m confused which version i must go for!!!

any kind of suggestions towards next steps are welcome.

thanks & regards,
MARC