qnx2 application to fix

Hello I am new qnx user (mainly user of 2 supervisory system qnx2 based) and I have a problem with one of them. Let my explain: First the qnx2 installation disk was lost (I have only the codes on the floppy label) Second the password of two systems are lost also (1992…) third the HD who is still working become too noisy so…Well I’ve made a bynary copy with diskedit of norton utilities DOS on the exactly same type of disk and it works fine but there are no more disks available! Is anybody here who know how to edit the last sector of the disk and the boot , partition table, maybe the bitmap for fixing up a binary copy on another type of disk?
Or how to copy from qnx4.25 to qnx2 disk : copying from qnx2 to qnx4 work with q2fsys a utility found somewere on the net . Thanks :confused:

Try Booting from a QNX 2 installation disk, manually mounting the hard disk then edit (using, I’m afraid, “ed” the crappy line editor that comes with QNX) a file called “pass”, found in the “3:/config” directory. At the very least, you should be able to see what the passwords have been set to, even if changing them proves too difficult.

Now this raises the question, what do you use for a QNX boot disk? Well I cannot help you there - you will probably have to purchase a new copy, unless you can borrow a copy from someone for as long as it takes to perform this task. Once you have got the passwords, you can reboot from the HD and give the floppy back (though I would be very unhappy about having to support a system without having a boot disk tucked away somewhere!)

Norton Ghost should be able to copy the QNX partition to any disk that is at least as large as the original but will be unable to re-size the partition to fit. When you try to run qnx again, the boot files will be on different physical sectors of the disk and you need to run the “boot” command to correct this. QNX has to load these files to understand the disk format to find the files… Catch 22! The “boot” command finds the exact physical sector where they are located so it can start loading the file at this location which will give it enough intelligence to read the disk contents and find all the other files that it needs. To do this, you need (again!) the qnx installation disk to initially boot the system, run “boot” so that it can then boot from the HD.

tip! DOS 6 Diskcopy can copy QNX installation disks!

Actually even windows diskcopy can copy QNX floppy disk.

First of all, because of your last question up above, I assume that you have both a QNX2 and a QNX4 partition in the same system. Boot into QNX4, log on as root and use the dd command to image the QNX2 disk:
dd if=/dev/hd0t7 bs=512 count=NUMBER_OF_SECTORS | gzip -9c > /path/to/image/file/hd0t7.bin.gz
the ‘if’ is the ‘Input File,’ the ‘bs’ is the Block Size (presumabaly 512 bytes), and NUMBER_OF_SECTORS is the number of sectors in the QNX2 partition. The output of the dd command gets piped to gzip, and its output is redirected to a file. You can then write it to a CD, or if it’s too large for that, break it up across multiple CDs, again using the dd command:
dd if=/path/to/image/file/hd0t7.bin.gz of=/cd0/segment.00x bs=512 count=1331200 skip=X_TIMES_1331200
Here the count tells dd how many sectors you want (1331200*512=650Mib), and skip tells dd how many sectors it should skip in the input file (start X at 0, and name the output files appropriately).

Finally, you can always write your own transfer program; we use CII C and C++, and the package provides two system calls (don’t remember them off-hand) that can read and write any block in a partition directly.