Any Ideas on Recovering/Repairing QNX filesystem?

I’m looking for any thoughts or ideas on a good way to set up a recovery/repair tool of a QNX filesystem.

Breakdown:
The systems I’ll be using is a dual boot Linux/QNX system, and I’m trying to make a automated tool to repair a system on failure, assuming its the filesystem that crashed, and not the hard drive itself. This repair tool is going to be built on a pen drive running a modified version of RedHat 7.3, the same build as would be on the dual boot system. Through linux I’m able to mount the QNX filesystem so I’ll be able to modify the system files somehow. One other thing…we have multiple systems, with about 12 variations of QNX scattered throughout. The pen drive will not know what variation is loaded on the system it is trying to repair.

What would be a robust way of checking the QNX filesystem for errors, and then repairing???

My ideas:

1. My first thought was to use par2, by creating 50-70% recovery files, and store them in Linux space. Can this be done through linux??? I’ve found ‘parchive’ which seems similar to par2, but it looks as though par2 has not been implemented on Linux.
  2. Would it be possible to create an image of QNX, immediately after the install of QNX and its drivers, and store this image under linux space. The repair utility can than checksum the damaged file system with the image, determine where it has failed, and then overwrite damaged files.

I’m hoping for good responses, and any more ideas or information on either QNX or Linux that I may not know which could help. Thanks.

Sorry for the rant but it looks like linux folks have got a big honkin’ hammer and now everthing looks like a nail to them.

Now the solution… you do not need linux anywhere in this scene! And the r/w mode linux has is not guaranteed to save you/protect you from any damages!

Second, did it ever occur to you that QNX already comes with few very good fs repair/recovery tools and is embeddable. You can happily make small image with all fixing and repair tools and put them on that pen drive. You don’t need to mess with any damn “modified” RH Linux installation.

Third, if you’re putting in linux (and dual booting it) just for recovery sake, then be happy, you don’t need to do it. I’m glad to break this happy news to you that QNX already comes as a bootable CDROM that can be popped in and all recovery operations can be performed in the comfort of a nice GUI while listening to music and talking online to people who will be happy to tell you how exactly to go about doing it.

Fourth, if you, even now, bent upon having some third party recovery tool, I’d be very happy to sell you my QNX FS browser. Its been written in Java and can let you browse your QNX partition from windows, Linux, Solaris and QNX (duh). (screenshots here - qnxzone.com/~mritun/qfst-2.jpg). Strike a deal and I’ll happily code a fs check/recovery module to go along with it :slight_smile:

Thanks, and sorry for the ranting.

Regards

• Akhilesh ‘I-dont-have-a-hammer’ Mritunjai

I like your rant, good news for some I’d say.

The system that the pen drive is being loaded into is the dual booting system, with QNX and Linux installed. We have applications for both that our clients use. The recovery tool I’m creating is to be automated, so that the pen drive gets put in, loads Linux, and then verifies both the linux and QNX side of the damaged system. It verifies that itself is not corrupt, then linux, then QNX.

This tool is being used as a “dummy’s” advantage. Where if the system fails, he/she can plug in the recover tool, and not have to do anything with any restore utilities. If it turns out that the system is too damaged to repair, then they’ll have to return the system to us, where we can further trouble shoot the failure.