QNX in robotics systems (Qnx en robotica)

First in spanish… english later.

Hola a todos, estoy recien incursionando en el area de los RTOS (real time operative systems). En mi proyecto de tesis de grado quiero usar un RTOS integrado dentro de un single motherboard para poder controlar un cuadrupedo robotico.

Este cuadrupedo, consta de un numero de servos controlados por un microcontrolador, dicho microcontroladorl recibe comandos a traves del puerto serial. Actualmente el robot es controlado utilizando una pc de escritorio con labview, la idea de mi tesis es convertir este robot en autonomo al integrar el RTOS en una single motherboard portatil y de bajo consumo de potencia. (montar la tarjeta madre encima del cuadrupedo y olvidarnos de la pc de escritorio).

Cual RTOS servira mas adecuadamente para mis propositos? cual tiene mayor soporte? facilidad de configuracion para sistemas de control? integracion para singlesmotherboards. En resume cual me dara la menor cantidad de problemas para lograr mi objetivo. Tengo entendido que las alternativas son: QNX, Vxworks, Wince, Rtai (real time linux), Redhat embedded.

Gracias por cualquier ayuda que me puedan dar

English:

hi everyone, i am a newbie in RTOS (real time operative systems). In my Undergraduate thesis i want to use an RTOS inside a low power single motherboard to control a four legged robot.

The four legged robot consists on a series of servo motors controled by a microcontroler (HC12). The HC12 receives de position comands through the serial port. At the moment the comands are being sent by a desktop computer with the program LABVIEW (wich has all the walking modes).

The point of my thesis is to replace the Desktop computer with a low power single board computer with a RTOS installed and some program to substitute labview’s logic. This will make de four legged robot totally autonomous.

My questions are: Wich RTOS will be the best for my purposes?. Wich one has de the best support?. Any ideas about programs for control?. How can i integrate the RTOS with a single motherboard?. I know that some choices for RTOS are: QNX, Vxworks, RTAI, WINCE, redhat embedded.

Any help will be appreciated.

Raul Acu;a

I don’t know anything about RTAI, nor WINCE, but I suggest you look at Linux. It’s free, and for this type of motor control, I think the “soft” real time you will get on a modern processor should be adequete. QNX would make a nice implementation if you can get it for free. I think there was a 6.1 version that fit the bill, but I don’t know if it is still available.

You described what you technicaly want to do but give no other detail. Picking an OS is not only about technical issue. Any of the OS you mention should probably do the job, hell even with XP and the right hardware you should be able to pull it off.

That being said I don’t want to sound rude or anything but isn’t kind of weak for a thesis to turn a desktop application into a embedded one? At least shouldn’t you be the one going through each potential OSes, finding which one fits the requirement best?

Yes you sound rude. Maybe for you its easy to buy all the OSes and all the hardware to test them. But we have limited resources here and the first step is to ask to someone who Knows like you, before try anything. MASCHOEN gave me some usefull information instead of criticize me. Maybe you are a QNX master but am not, thats why am asking for help. And last, i gave you only the info of my thesis that i though you would need to give me some help, my thesis has a lot more work, and my tutor i s the one that has the final word about my thesis been weak or not.

Thanks maschoen for the post.

PD. I made the same question in a linux forum and nobody made such a rude reply to my post.

tronstorm,

I think it is only fair to remind you, that text messages between people on the internet, especially when written quickly for the purpose of exchanging information, often fail to properly transmit the emotional content.   This is why emoticons were invented. :slight_smile:.

I know Mario personally, and if he came off rude in his last message (I don’t see it but…) I’m sure it was unintented. Mario is a master around here, but a very benevolent one, giving much time and energy to help people out.

Mitchell

tronstorm,

I think it is only fair to remind you, that text messages between people on the internet, especially when written quickly for the purpose of exchanging information, often fail to properly transmit the emotional content.   This is why emoticons were invented. :slight_smile:.

I know Mario personally, and if he came off rude in his last message (I don’t see it but…) I’m sure it was unintended. Mario is a master around here, but a very benevolent one, giving much time and energy to help people out.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell ;-)

Mr. Tronstrom here are some food for though. If you don’t care for my opinion then just move along and lets leave it at that shall we.

Your original post sounded to me like if you were asking what is the best car to go from point A to point B. You listed some potential car model but that is about it. That is very little information to recommend a car. And don’t forget this is a QNX forum, nobody is making any money posting but it’s like going to a BMW club and asking which model of car is the best, although I’m pretty sure most people will play fair, it think their will be some bias.

As I said I’m pretty sure any of the OS you mentionned would work, each would have their advantage and disavantage but because you didn’t provide any technical information what so ever any suggestion is guess work.

• Are you limited by ram?
  • Are you limited by CPU power?
  • Are you limited by power consumption
  • Is heat an issue?
  • Is system size an issue.
  • What kind of timing requirement are you looking at.
  • Do the people involved in this project have past experience with an OS.
  • Do the people involved in this project have real-time experience.
  • Will custom driver be needed.
  • Will third party source code be used
  • Are you relying on some third party software
  • Will CPUs be networked
  • What hardware will you be using, any custom design?
  • Is cost of the hardware an issue?
  • Is time to market an issue?
  • What programming language do you plan on using.
  • Is price of development seat of concern ( most university can get OS for free under educational programs)
  • Is price of run time of concern
  • Do you plan on using multi-core or multi-processor design?
  • Will the system have a screen / keyboard or will everything need to be done remotely
  • Will you rely on community support or some sort of professional level support
  • Will this become a commercial product

Any suggestion without any detail as specify above is a stab in the dark. Good luck.