MSG_NOSIGNAL undeclared

When trying to compile this code:
tldp.org/LDP/LG/issue74/tougher.html#4.2

I got an error message about MSG_NOSIGNAL being undeclared

g++ -c -o ServerSocket.o ServerSocket.cpp
g++ -c -o Socket.o Socket.cpp
Socket.cpp: In method bool Socket::send(basic_string<char,string_char_traits<char>,__default_alloc_template<true,0> >) const': Socket.cpp:112: MSG_NOSIGNAL’ undeclared (first use this function)
Socket.cpp:112: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
Socket.cpp:112: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [Socket.o] Error 1

Is there a fix?

MSG_NOSIGNAL is a proprietary Linux manifest (i.e. it is non-posix/Xopen). Just replace it with 0 (the number 0).

The posix/xopen way of accomplishing the same result is to use sigprocmask/sigwait (see: opengroup.org/onlinepubs/0079087 … gwait.html) to direct all signals synchronously to a signal handling thread.

Before continuing any further, make sure you understand this issue completely, as it is a fundamental element of multi-threaded programming.

so could I use pthread_sigmask to tell that thread to ignore SIGPIPE signals and check return code and errno to detect broken pipe? What I want to do ultimately is a client-server mechanism where both ends would try to reconnect when communication is broken.

The BSD’s have been bringing this in. MSG_NOSIGNAL
will be supported in 6.4

-seanb

Almost… you must block SIGPIPE at the process level, since you can’t control which thread will pick it up otherwise. You should mask all signals and dedicate a thread to processing them synchronously. Any good book on pthreads will recommend this idiom.

If you are using QNX 6.4, then you can (as Sean suggests) just recompile against io-pkt which does have this manifest. Of course, this is non-posix.

I want to asked that new device driver need to be added to an image? And i can apply the new driver directly or not?

EX0-101 practice exam | 642-845 practice exam | 000-330 practice exam