Determining Idle cycles

Have you looked at the TI DaVinci part? It is ARM with DSP, low cost good performance (might be easier to move to, than re-implementing everything in the FPGA).

Thanks for the info on the DaVinci part, I did not know about that one.

The next generation product will add another channel which is a big reason for the FPGA (plus we can eliminate the cost of a touchscreen controller and a couple of other parts by integrating them into the FPGA).

Ken

In that case, have you considered the Virtex5? It is a PPC embedded in an FPGA fabric… Since it is a PPC it has cycle counters, and since your QNX code is hardware independent, there aren’t any reuse issues there :slight_smile:

Interesting. Is there a BSP for the Virtex5 planned? I didn’t see it on the list.

Trying to build a business case for it right now. If you are interested in this part, give your sales rep a call, and let them know (right now would be a good time actually :slight_smile:

I forwarded the info to our hardware design guy (who is chomping at the bit to do the FPGA work). Moving our code from ARM to PPC may be a little painful due to hardware dependencies, but it’s doable.

Me, I’d rather chuck the marketing requirement that it be battery operated, stick in a fast x86, a couple of DSPs and a cooling fan and be done with it :slight_smile:

How about the Atom?

Too much power. It takes around 8 watts vs. the pxa270 ~380mW. We could go with a bigger battery, but that means bigger size and marketing won’t go for it.