QNX Open Source

Mario,

You have me intrigued.   What is the purpose of this script?   What does "on" and "-on" do?  Just curious.

mh, is this supposed to be here or in the boot problem thread? ^^

I’m sorry for the confusion I should have been more verbose. This is not a script, it is taken from a makefile ( the prefix - means don’t display the command being executed).

“on” is a QNX command to get a process to start on another node or with different priority/affinity etc. In our setup on is given the +s permission. If something needs to be run from root we just prefix it with on. That means any one can launch this make without have to switch to root.

Everything that is needed to build our target is under SVN. You check it out then run “make install DISK=hd1” which would first build everything required ( boot image, setting of proper file permission etc). Once everything is build the code i posted is run. It initializes the disk specified by DISK and then copy everything to it. Once make has completed the disk is bootable and ready to be use on our target.

We keep all of the files that make up the target disk or that are needed to build the targetr files (such as mkifs) under SVN. That way it doesn’t matter what version of the OS we are running this on. In 10 years from now we should be able to recreated the same disk as today.

Note that we usually connect the disk via USB<->Sata converter, which QNX automaticaly mounts as /dev/hd10. That means we can create X number of disks in a row without having to reboot the computer. In our case these disks are current 16G SATA flash drive.

Solarwind wanted to know how to create a bootable disk from scratch to install a custom OS on. That’s my contribution :wink: