CVS vs SVN for QNX

If you want to be 100% sure you need to create a branch or a tag and work from that.

Mario,

Why do you attach to (let’s say…) ‘your_exec’ the “Last Changed Rev” into the use message? Don’t you think would be more informative, to attach just the (global) “Revision” number of the repository?

Suppose that ‘your_exec’ is linking against some ‘libX’ which is in other directory of the tree structure. And that version change several times after the last change in your_exec. When you rebuild your_exec (because libX changed, not your_exec), the version attached to it will not tell you anything about the revision number of the libX linked. But if you attach just ‘Revision’ (parsing svn info), this number is global to the “enterly tree structure”, so you can know that your_exec is linking against that version of libX.

I am explaining myself?

If your_exec does not change but the libX yes, the number you are attaching to your_exec will be always the same… but libX is different each time… and your_exec just doesn’t realize that libX is changing…

How does it work?. I could be wrong…

Hey! Thank you again!

Regards,
Juan Manuel

You are right but that scenario does not exists for us. The project is self contain and we run the svn info from the root directory of the project. Our repository doesn’t contain various project that are unrelated. We will try to split them into different repository at some point in time. In the mean time using the lastRev means if a commit is done on a different project or even branch for that matter the last rev number will not magically change after doing svn info.

In our case, I think attaching ‘Revision’ of svn info, is enough for our needs and we can keep track every executable with the same idea you give me with get_version.ch !

Thank you!!

Regards,
Juan Manuel