Everything what belongs to QNET is covered by fog “it’s our proprietary protocol and we tell noone how this works”. But for me this fog smells like “it was never good documented”. At least I never got any document about QNET protocol implementation except some general blah-blah papers those available in QNX documentation.
Answering your questions:
- Spying with wireshark I have found that ndp protocol works following way:
- every node at startup of QNET stack fires a broadcast packets “Boys, I’m Mickey!” to network,
- every who got such message adds Mickey in his list and send packet “Hi Mickey, I’m Donald!”,
- when initial node gets such packet it also adds senders to his list and also says “Hi Donald, I’m Mickey!”.
- I’m not sure but perhaps here is no dedicated packet for this case exist. A node simply suddenly gets no any reply packets from another node because addressee is down, tries find him by “Hi Mickey, I’m Donald!” messages, and if this doesn’t help removes him from internal node list. This is only a guess because I didn’t dig this part of a protocol.