QNX as end-user system and some other questions

also, I need a working QNX system, which I’ll have Monday as well.

Since Mike Gorchak successfully ported SDL to QNX (also for the upcoming 1.3 version) already, I will start with porting Xorg + XPhoton now. If someone got any hints which can help me, please write them here.

By the way, what do all you think about a small Photon-based application which can be used as installer for the pkgsrc repository coded in a similar manner to the “old” QNX installer?

It could be done, but would be pretty worthless except for smoothly running pkgsrc installations. Maybe that is what you had in mind? If nothing else it would be nice to something to help you browse that enormous pkgsrc tree.

Maybe too big of a project but what would be awesome is to port Java and to get the IDE back on self-hosted…

Do you mean port Sun Java?

Yes I thing it`s called OpenJDK (openjdk.java.net/) . There is something about it in pksrc I believe.

This would open up huge possibility for QNX.

I thought about an installer with a console-like view on the installation procedure. The advantage of a GUI is that you e.g. now what is installed and also probably find out what needs to be updated (after SVN up of the pkgsrc tree). Another advantage is that also people without knowledge about pkgsrc are able to easily install packages. A nice browser with some filters and full-text search would be nice. All these processes can be automated, since they are not that error-prone.

Of course you are right - the installation procedure itself can’t be that clean - that’s why we would need a console view / error log. But what we could do, is to give each project in the pkgsrc tree some kind of a status level (experimental, stable etc.) to know what can be smoothly installed (but this is not a very through-thought idea)?

mario, About the self-hosting idea:

What’s about QSS’s last version of the IDE? Do you think there is any chance to get the last sources?

Porting Java is very much work… I don’t have any internal knowledge about this stuff anyways … :frowning:

Just FYI - the next port I have done is GIT:

community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/ … l.topc8051

Source to what, the IDE? I don`t think there would be a need for the source, the Java machine code should just work assuming the jvm is fully compliant and all the standard classes are there.

What ? You would bow down to such a challenge, nah you’re better than that :wink:

Haha, but I really don’t love Java :slight_smile:

But generally a nice idea imho. Honestly - how much work could it be?

It’s not about Java itself but about the application that you can access to when Java is support. Application like Eclipse…

I have no idea how much work it could be. It’s already running on many Unix platform. I would expect the JVM to be not so bad but it’s making a Photon version of Swing library that could prove challenging. Also the OpenJDK doesn’t seems come with a testsuite, which make validation complicated I guess.

Do you know, if Swing is directly interoperating with the UI backend or are just areas blitted seperately without using the proper widgets?

(So, are Buttons drawn completely on their own [pixel-wise] or is PtButton used?)

Yes, without a good testsuite there is much work to do - currently there is OpenTCK in planning or development but there seems to be much work left.

And I guess Eclipse is a very big and complex application using all parts of the JDK…

maschoen, I thought about something like this (as a start)

localmindprovider.com/snap2.jpg

Well the porting issues should be mostly around the GUI.

I would guess it`s all raw.

I just get the Xorg working (not Xphoton, just plain X). The HEAD_640 is just updated, I may missed a few things, so you are welcome to try it out.

I am trying to do a clean build on HEAD_641 now…

meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-fonts
x11/modular-xorg-server
xf86-input-mouse
xf86-input-keyboard
xf86-video-vmware

and a few others like xhost/xeyes/xterm/xhost/xclock/fvwm just to try out.

I finally got my QNX machine running and I’ll diving in tomorrow. Hopefully something good will come of this.

Is the source for XPhoton available?

jct: Yes, as open-source project. sourceforge.net/project/showfile … e_id=78868

It’s some extra source code but for XFree86 and not for the x.org server.

As xtang said, he compiled the current X.org and XPhoton must be adapted to this that it can be used as backend for graphics, input etc.

xtang: Will try out today :slight_smile: thanks!