can someone help me about qnx

1. what is the different qnx 2,4,6
  2. when the qnx 6 is release
  3. and how to install driver in qnx with ISO file

thx u

1. This is a big question, some highlights.

QNX 2 refers to version .43 through 2.15H. It is a very old system and hasn’t been actively supported for many years. It originally ran in unprotected mode on Intel 8088’s. Later versions would run either in 16 bit unprotected mode or 16 bit protected mode on 80286 or newer processors. There was never a 32 bit version. The original compiler was pre-ANSI, sometimes called a K&R 16 bit compiler. It supported 1 64K code and 1 64K data segment, and unlimited “extra” data segments. These were accessed either through assembler code or via a non-standard compiler hack. The original file system was limited to 32Meg partition sizes, but it was later increased in size. This file system is unique to QNX 2, although QNX 4 was able to read and write QNX 2 partitions. QNX 2 began the legacy of QNX message passing micro-kernels. It supported multiple “tasks” but not threads. The OS itself was miniscule. I don’t think it ever exceeded 64K, while the first versions were down around 16K. It could run multiple tasks including a compile in just 64K of memory. The OS was written Pre-POSIX and only had passing similarities to UNIX systems. In later years a GUI called QNX Windows was written for QNX 2. A 3rd party, Computer Innovations eventually provided an ANSI compiler that supported a segment swapping large model. The network for QNX 2 ran on proprietary Arcnet cards made by the Corman company. Some 3rd party TCP/IP solutions were provided. There was never any support for reading CD’s.

QNX 4 was a complete rewrite. It ran on Intel 80286 or better processors. It originally ran with 16 bit processes but soon supported 32 bit applications on 80386 or better processors. It was for the most part POSIX compliant. The file system was rewritten and has the same format as the QNX 6 file system. Threads were not supported until later as a hack. QNX Windows was ported but later supplanted by the Photon GUI. The kernel was much larger than QNX 2 but still a tiny 256K at a time when computers were sold with 16+Meg. The network supported multiple protocols including a full TCP/IP implementation. CD reading was supported but there is no QNX support for writing them.

QNX 6 kept up support for many QNX 4 features. It was more fully POSIX compliant, supporting threads. The network was more flexible, although somewhat less important to the company as their focus became embedded systems. A major feature was support for multiple processors such as Power PC and ARM. Photon was ported and enhanced. One interesting deficit with QNX 6 is the file system. While very robust, the performance has not kept up. I’ve heard a rumor that a new version will soon be released.

1. I don’t know exactly. More than 5 years ago. It has gone through versions 6.1, 6.2, 6.30. There also is some moving terminology. Originally QNX 6 was called Neutrino. Now Neutrino is used as the name of the kernel. Momentics refers to the entire OS plus development system, which includes Eclipse.

2. I think by an ISO file you mean a CD? Reading CD’s is supported. Drivers in general are processes so you can start them from the command line. Some drivers are started with the mount command.

Don’t know about a faster one but qnxfs6 came out and it’s mean to be more resilient ( no need for chkfsys ) but it’s slightly slower.

There is now SDP, from a post on foundry27:

QNX SDP consists of the QNX Momentics Tool Suite and the QNX Neutrino
RTOS.

QNX Momentics consists of the command-line tools (qcc, etc.), and (on
Windows and Linux) the IDE.

thx for the explaination
your answer is help me so much

more question if you dont mind

1. all qnx version are RTOS right?
  2. is that true, because of qnx use micro kernel, then if there any driver or other componet are error or corupt, it can restart automaticaly without need retart all system?
  3. in qnx.com there is qnx for automotive, etc. is it the same qnx version, if yes, which version
  4. is there any web that contain basic syntac for terminal, like IPConfig, or ping

thx

1 Yes.
2 Yes but the thing needs to be cleverly design. That automatic restart is not built in the system. To give you an idea. About 10 years ago we had a system where the filesystem was crashing, it was due to some corruption on the HD and a bug in the filesystem driver. We were able to pretty much re install the HD, (the machine was networked), without a single reboot and with no downtime for the customer!!!
3 Yes. I assume it must be version 6.3 or up!
4 this stuff is pretty much like UNIX, there are tons of documentation to go around. QNX has very good documenation. If people would take the time to read and search in it, more than half the question here wouldn’t need to be posted :wink:

1. all qnx version are RTOS right?

Yes, the OS’s are RTOS’s. There are a number of ways to subvert this behavior, but that’s outside of QNX’s control.

1. is that true, because of qnx use micro kernel,

No. A micro kernel is not inherently real time, nor is a message passing kernel for that matter.

then if there any driver or other componet are error or corupt, it can >restart automaticaly without need retart all system?

This is possible but it is not an automatic feature of the QNX OS, or drivers that are written for QNX. There is some software support provided to help you implement this, High Avalability … something or other.

One thing to keep in mind is that this infrastructure is not perfect. For a driver to become corrupt, then it has software bugs. If it has software bugs, the software to restart it could also have bugs. If a driver crashes, this could be because of hardware failure which may need a power recycle, or bad memory which will fail again. There are a range of steps one can take to make system more resiliant. This can include hardware that fails in the least dangerous manner, watchdog timers that can reset the hardware, and RAID’d disk storage. What is appropriate depends on the actual system. In some cases it is best just to report a problem when it first happens so that the unit can be swapped out.

1. in qnx.com there is qnx for automotive, etc. is it the same qnx >version, if yes, which version

I don’t know of a special version for automotive (that doesn’t mean there isn’t one) but an important target market is in the auto industry.

1. is there any web that contain basic syntac for terminal, like IPConfig, > or ping

Huh? ipconfig and ping are TCP/IP utilities. Are you looking for a user manual for commands? In general for QNX commands you can enter:

help command

For non-qnx command one of these sometimes helps:

command -h

command -help

command --h

command --help

thx
[/quote]

thx all, help me so much

The official name of the latest OS is QNX Neutrino, not QNX 6.

So is it Neutrino 6.3.2 and Neutrino 6.4.0 and Neutrino 6.4.1 and so on?

Wait, does that mean that originally the OS was QNX Neutrino, but later it was just the Kernel that was Neutrino, and now the whole OS is again Neutrino? I just want to get this right?

Don’t bother Mitchell, it will change in a couple of month, lol!

lol