QNX6 freezing

Hi

I installed 6.4.1 on wafer board (Aton N270 1.6GHz), 2GB CF card.
when in shell, OS is sometimes very slow (writing files, after I press Tab to fill in filename, listing directories) - i have to wait literaly seconds.
and after using FTP for couple of minutes, FTP and telnet STOP responding at all. (machine runs, I canwork on console)

Any ideas how can I fight this ?
Could it be CF is slow ? but that would not explain why inetd is freezing

thx

Is your hardware supported by QNX according to qnx.com/developers/hardware_support/ ?

Is uP overloaded? What do you see with hogs command (for example when you press Tab?

Writing to CF can be very slow. When you use fs-qnx6 file system, it may be even slower because it’s a “COW” - copy on write - file system. Try using fs-qnx4 filesystem.

inetd doesn’t freeze. It tries to start e.g. telnetd, and to do so, loads it from CF, which may be busy writing. You could try to modify inetd.conf or /etc/services to have the corresponding files in a RAM disk.

is it possible to convert existing install to qnx4 FS ?

Turn a qnx6 FS into qnx4 directly? I don’t think so… Maybe you should create a new installation mounting qnx4 FS, but… it seems another thing is happening…

canyou please direct me to a manual how to preapare OS image, so I can try it on hdd to see if CF is the problem ?

qnx.com/developers/docs/6.3. … mkifs.html

juan: thx
I finally figured it out. I made qnx4 partition on another flash disk, copied stuff there and now running tests.
seems to be running smoother than qnx6 FS. I’ll report wheter telnet/ftp freezes.

Any tips how to make boot time faster ? I used basedma.ifs, and there are some detecting of eide and sata going on on the boot time.
I’d love to reduce this down to minimum.

Also I managed to make some minimal install (around 88MB with my install), would it be possible to create RAM disk at boot time and copy WHOLE OS on it and run from there ?
like mount that RAMdisk as /

thx

I don’t know if your boot time is longer than it would be… You can configure your boot image as complex or simple as you want, but you you used .ifs image file… Did you try to compile the .build it by your own? You can customize the .build file in order to reduce boot time… This could be not so easy maybe.

/dev/shmem itself is managed as a file-system (with several limitations, no subdirectories).

qnx.com/developers/docs/6.3. … s.html#RAM

JM

You can use your own build file to start the drivers you want, completely removing the sometimes slow auto-detection of EIDE devices.

Of course you can copy everything into a RAM disk, just use devb-ram.