setting network partitions

Hi all,

I am trying to set up partitions in the boot file.

I have included lines:

[+script] startup-script = {

#my adaptive partition
sched_aps net-partition 25
sched_aps=net-partition] /sbin/io-pkt-v4-hc &
[sched_aps=net-partition] /usr/sbin/qconn &
}

However when I boot the system after copying the right makefile of this buildfile, I do not see interface en0 at all!!

Also when I do a:

pidin -F “%H %60N”

I see that io-pkt-v4-hc and qconn run in both ‘system’ and 'net-partition
:frowning: :frowning:
I do not know what i am missing…

By the way, how to move the entire networking of QNX into one partition?

I don’t see a network driver being started.

Either do I. I’d also like to point out that having threads (within the io-pkt process) that are being billed to different partitions, is not bad; it is actually fundamental to the correct operation of adaptive partitioning (usage is being billed to the client that caused the thread to run).

I’d recommend reading the adaptive partitioning design docs.

you mean I have to mount the driver here in the net partition??

No. But you do need to issue the mount from the partition within which you want the interrupt handler thread to run, since the thread that mounts the driver runs in the partition of the mount command, and consequently when the driver attaches the interrupt event, it does so in the context of the partition that the mount command was running in.

try this (where you mount the driver) and see if it helps.

on -Xaps=net-partition mount -T io-pkt /lib/dll/devnp-XXX.so

I looked into the boot(build) file, in rc.local, in sysinit and all relevant start script. But nowhere is this mounted other than in /etc/system/ebum/devices (where along with other drivers this particular one is also there).

After I booted. I slayed all io-pkt and in the command line typed:

the ‘on mount’ command you have mentioned below.

I then checked up in ‘sloginfo’ command but my driver never got mounted…as in I dont see it there.
When I issue an ifconfig en0 command I only get SIOCSIFFLAGS error :frowning:

Where is the driver mounted?

Hello all, Problem solved. Thanks rgallen. I mounted my driver in the parition in rc.local file. However that dint work. Ultimately I found a similar problem by someone in Foundry27 site. The answer was: i have to slay the stack at start up and then start stack in my partition and then mount driver in the partition. Also wait for the en0 to show up before I set address using ifconfig. thanks for all your inputs :slight_smile:

Alternatively, you can simply edit /etc/system/enum/include/net and change the line:

set(IOPKT_CMD, io-pkt-v4-hc -ptcpip

to:

set(IOPKT_CMD, on -Xaps=net-partition io-pkt-v4-hc -ptcpip

and /etc/rc.d/rc.devices to start two invocations of enum-devices (one that will only find network devices, and one that finds only non-network devices) and start the appropriate enum-devices in the network partition.

Then you wouldn’t need to start io-pkt in the ifs startup, and you don’t need any commands in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. In addition, this will automatically place any newly added network hardware in the network partition, without any further config changes.

Ideally QSSL should add a partition attribute to the mount command in the /etc/system/enum config files, such that one could specify which partition the mount thread should run in.

Thanks rgallen!

Hi,
I did following to move entire qnx netwoking to a partiton

Alternatively, you can simply edit /etc/system/enum/include/net and change the line:

set(IOPKT_CMD, io-pkt-v4-hc -ptcpip

to:

set(IOPKT_CMD, on -Xaps=net-partition io-pkt-v4-hc -ptcpip

It is working as expected. Thank You

Similarly I want to move io-graphics to GUI partition as it consumes lot of CPU on playing flash player. How do I configure this at start up? I tried modifying /etc/system/enum/include/graphics as above. It only moved io-display to GUI partition. Please help.