major XPhoton problem

I have QNX 6.2.1 and installed XFree86 4.3. After configuring X by
/usr/X11R6/bin/X -configure, entering some display modes and copying the XF86Config.new to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 I can successfully execute startx and have a working X Server then, I can launch X applications in it, start FVWM and so on.

Now my problem. Anytime i try to execute ./usr/X11R6/bin/XPhoton it crashes with a memory fault. I tried installing the XPhoton .qpr versions 4.2 and 4.3. Both crash with no error code, simply memory fault. Any suggestions maybe?

I may be wrong here, since I don’t run XWindows, but XPhoton is an Xserver for those of us running Photon, not if you are running native XWindows. In other words, you should not need it, you are already running X.

hmm, i recognized an XPhoton process after calling ps from within photon. I guess XPhoton is started automatically when calling ph. I can execute XPdf and other X Ports now without problems :smiley:

rick is right.
There are two base GUI system in QNX6 that you can choose: X Window and Photon.

1. If you pick Photon, you can start “ph” script from a text console to launch Photon. You can still run X applications in Photon via “X in Photon” (XPhoton). XPhoton is automatically started by the “ph” script if you have it in the usual place. You can verify this by “ps” or “sin” command. If XPhoton is not running, you can always start it manually.

2. If you pick X Window, you can start it with “startx” from a text console. You can still run Photon applications in X via “Photon in X” (phinx). You will need to manually launch phinx using the /usr/X11R6/bin/phx script. Since phinx relies on phrelay, you will need to uncomment phrelay from /etc/inetd.conf and have “inetd” running.

Thx for your replies. I like Photon much more than X but i could not find a PDF Viewer for it. So I’m quite happy now with my stylish Photon and being able to execute X applications. :stuck_out_tongue: