How to start samba service in QNX 6.3.2

Hi Friends,

I have installed the 3rd party software package. I enabled ssh service. But I dont know the steps to start the samba service in qnx 6.3.2? But I Did this one.
#smbpasswd -a nithiyan
#smbpasswd -e nithiyan
smbpasswd and all created. But I can’t able to map into my windows PC. Kindly tell the steps.

[quote=“Manimegalai”]
Hi Friends,

I have installed the 3rd party software package. I enabled ssh service. But I dont know the steps to start the samba service in qnx 6.3.2? But I Did this one.
#smbpasswd -a nithiyan
#smbpasswd -e nithiyan
smbpasswd and all created. But I canHi Friends,

Kindly help me as soon as possible. Its very urgent for me

Manimegalai,

All you did was set up the username and password.

You still have to start the samba daemons and configure samba itself.

In the /etc directory should be a samba directory. In there will be a file called smb.conf. Edit this file to configure samba options.

Then start the samba daemon smbd located in opt/sbin.

If everything was done right you should be able to map the drive.

I recommend getting the O’Reilly book “Using Samba” or finding a good samba website if you need more help than this.

Tim

ssh has nothing to do with samba

Tim

Thank you so much. I have samba folder under /etc. Can you please tell me, What are all the things I have to edit in smb.conf file.

Manimegalai

Manimegalai,

I suggest you google the answer to that question.

What you need to set depends on what you are trying to achieve, how your network is setup etc.

Tim

I think he means ssl as the OpenSSL library comes in a different package. Do you really need ssl with your samba install? it can be a bit tricky to setup as a novice:

oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapte … pa_01.html

Anyway you need to configure the /etc/samba/smb.conf file with the shares and security that you require. You can even add your samba box to a domain and use domain authentication but I have never set that up.

To start the samba daemons put:

echo “Starting Samba”
/opt/sbin/nmbd
/opt/sbin/smbd

into one of you start-up file e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Btw the latest version of samba will configure and make without any source code modifications. The version that is in the qnx third party C.D. is out of date by many years and includes several security vulnerabilities.

Once you hav compiled do make install to install the binaries. I noticed with this version you will have to add /usr/local/samba/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Also the binaries are in /usr/local/samba/bin and the conf file is in the lib folder by default.

David

The binary is already available from pksrc.

Hi all

I am using QNX 6.4.0 Neutrino RTOS. In it’s /etc i couldn’t find any smb.conf. Do i have to download and install a samba software to get that ?

For QNX 6.3.2? How do I get pkgsrc? the qnx website points me at a URL to “get momentics” which I already have.

I found it much easier just to download, ./configure and make from the samba website:

samba.org/samba/download/

David