QNX 621 CD does not boot

I have recently downloaded the qnxnc621.iso and burnt it to CD. I believe that this should be bootable, but cannot get this CD to boot on either of my two PCs.
Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

can you please give some more detailed description of your problem ?
are you familiar with burning isos or do we have to see to that as well ?
Rgds HELGE

Tks for your reply Helge.
I am trying to boot directly from the .iso CD. Viz., I have set CMOS to boot from CD. After performing POST, the machine apparently “hangs”. No apparent activity; HDD or CD drive.
I have have NO experience of burning or booting .iso CDs. I believe that this is what I need help with.
Regards,
DaveK

DaveK - if you look at the burned CD under Windows/Linux/MacOS, what file(s) are on the device?

Using Windows Explorer, there is only one (meta) file on the CD. It is:- qnxnc621.iso. Using WinISO or UltraISO, I can see all the other (sub) files in the distribution.
Regards,
DaveK

Did you burn the CD as an ISO? You can’t just burn the ISO file directory to the CD. In most CD writer software (Nero, DirectCD etc), you have to choose the “Burn Image” option, If you just copy the file over it won’t expand the ISO file and therefore it’ll not be bootable (and useless).

Hi There,
the file that was burnt to CD, was as it was downloaded, IE qnxnc621.iso
As I stated before, this appears to be a meta (is this the right word?) file. Using WinISO or UltraISO, I can see all the other files contained within the .iso file.
Regards,
DaveK

PS.
The “burn image” option was not used when burning the CD. The file, as down-loaded, is already an iso image file and is supposed to be bootable, and was therefore burnt to CD exactly as is.
I think that what I need to do is “de-ISO” the file, create a new image, and then re-burn to CD.
Regards,
DaveK

The CD you burned is bad, you should throw it away and burn again. This time, make sure you select “burn image”, and then select the downloaded ISO image file as the source. If you are still unclear, let us know your burner software so people can give you the exact steps.

nah - you just need to burn the ISO as a raw image instead of making a disc with the file on it. Pretty much all CDRW software has an option to burn a raw ISO file.

Reply to noc:
I am afraid that I don’t understand. Events that occurred are as follows: 1) qnxnc621.iso downloaded. 2) qnxnc621.iso burnt to CD exactly as received. 3) Attempt to boot this CD failed. I have NERO and Roxio Easy CD Creator.
Reply to cdm:
What do you mean by “raw image”? Is this the file qnxnc621.iso as downloaded? What is the difference between burning any file and a raw ISO?
Regards,
DaveK

Here is how you should burn the CD using Nero:

Assuming your downloaded qnxnc621.iso is on C:
launch Nero, and click “File” and select “Burn Image…”
a new windows called “Open” will pop up, now you can browse/find and open the qnxnc621.iso. The rest should be straighforward.

When the burning is done, you should be able to boot the CD.

Let us know if you still have questions.

noc, tks for the advice. Unfortunately, that is the process that was followed. Maybe you are right and I must re-do the whole thing.
Regards,
DaveK

If you’re going to redo the whole thing try to download Cheetah CD Creator. It’s small and free (shareware but fully functional)… www.download.com search for cheetah. When you have it installed click on the little arrow on the green “write” button and select write from iso then select the QNX iso. I had problems with Nero and adaptec CD creator but this program is a 2 click cd creator and worked great for the QNX and variouse Linux distro .iso’s.

Hi Henry,
tks a lot for the info. I will try your suggestions. What OS does Cheetah run on?
Regards,
DaveK

Hi Henry,
tks a lot for the info. I will try your suggestions. What OS does Cheetah run on?
Regards,
DaveK

Hi Henry,
success using Cheetah CD Creator. Tks very much.

Can anyone tell me why the downloaded .iso will not boot from CD?
Regards,
DaveK

Does that mean you can boot the CD and install QNX now?

It will. I’ve used nero since QNX 6.0 without a problem. You must have made a mistake somewhere during your burning. Have you had a chance to re-burn the CD using nero following my exact instructions posted earlier in this thread?