Trouble booting PC's

Hi all,

fairly new to the in depth side of QNX and having some trouble.

We’ve 2 PC’s running on QNX software that don’t seem to be booting up properly, coming up as follows:

Support Crad detected (UC-313) from Brainboxes with 2 ports
Launching Ser port driver
Slay: unable to find process ‘Dev 32.ser’

Dev32.ser patch G + SMD brainbox patch 1.4

starting TCP I/P
namelock-k: can’t talk to nameloc on id 0
Photon: no license
Unable to start windowing kernel. Please check installation instructions for more information
//1/ctc/bin:bad dir
./start_c: not found
welcome to QNX 4.25
Copyright, etc etc
Login: no drives defined

They are both connected to another node ( I take it that this is nameloc 0, and they can’t see it???) which seems to be working ok, via an Ethernet hub. As far as I know they used to boot up properly into the required system independently but are now coming up as above and then just sitting there.

Do they need to be connected to the extra node to work or should they boot independently?
As they are both currently coming up with ‘Photon: no license’ has it run out or is it held on the extra node?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks (in advance) 8)

Are you “Brainboxes” or did you purchase from them? Looks like they put the systems together.

This tells me that you are running a version of QNX 4. It is a later version that runs in 32 bit (flat) mode. The original versions ran in 16bit (80286) mode and would only have run Dev16.ser.

The system is attempting to start Photon, the GUI but no Photon license is found. The original license type was easy to corrupt during a file by file copy. They were found in the /etc/licenses directory. Newer licenses were just a text line found in the file /.licenses.

The “namelock-k” seems unique to your system. nameloc is used to find processes on other nodes in the system.

At this point you are probably not going anywhere. If your system needs Photon to run, it’s DOA.

It looks like the designers bin directory is not there. I’m not sure what’s going on. It seems like a start script is running, but important components are missing.

[/quote]

[/quote]
You might be right about not finding the other node, which could be a network hardware error, but it looks to me like some kind of disk corruption. Still it is hard to say without knowing what the intended startup procedure is. It’s obviously a little odd.

We’ll have got the system through a third party.

The system is attempting to start Photon, the GUI but no Photon license is found. The original license type was easy to corrupt during a file by file copy. They were found in the /etc/licenses directory. Newer licenses were just a text line found in the file /.licenses.

As you say below possibly a newtorking issue. Is there the possibilty that the photon license is stored on the node that it can’t see?

[/quote]
Like you I’m leaning towards a networking problem. All three nodes are connected via ethernet but it may well be that some of the vital programming is held on the non-pc node. We’ve got someone coming in for a look next week hopefully who’ll be able to work through it better then me. Looks like I’m heading for some QNX lessons - lol.

Thanks for the help.