How Do You Install XPhoton In QNX 6

I received QNX RTOS 6 from a Magazine cover CD and after a brief and painless installation I have had a chance to experience just how fast and stable QNX is. Now I want to learn more by installing my own programs but the only guide I have is a Linux manual. First I must install Xphoton but I am in deep difficulties already. My Linux book tells me that X11 souce distributions come with a file called imakefile in the program’s source directory, which contains detailed information about how a program should be configured for various platforms running various X11 systems. Imakefile should be fed to a program that generates a makefile specifically for my system using a script called xmkmf. However QNX does not recognise the command ‘xmkmf’ and there are several imakefiles none of which are in the program’s source directory. These are

/xc/Programs/Xserver/Imakefile
/xc/Config/Imake/imakemdep.h
/xc/Config/Cf/Imake.cf
/xc/Programs/Xserver/Hw/Xphoton/Imakefile

There is no documentation with the source archive explaining what you are meant to do. Obviously, whoever put this program together did not consider that newbies would want to meddle with QNX.

It may be easier if I used the latest release of QNX but that is not practical because I have a 56K modem and there may be 280Mb to download.

So why do you want to install X at all? QNX comes with it’s own GUI called Photon and it is already installed. :slight_smile: Don’t get me wrong, you can install X - in fact you can install it from the online 3rd party repositiory (look at QNX online in the installer).

My point is if you are just starting, configuring and installing X is not a newbie process. And it only makes sense if you have a particular goal in mind.

If you have particular X based apps in mind, they may work without installing the whole X distribution. XPhoton is an X server which uses Photon and is completely integrated. Rather than installing the whole X distribution, just start with XPhoton and find something simpler to get your feet wet. :slight_smile: