Hardware compatibility

Hi

I’m very interested in the QNX RTOS. I’d like to install it but before I do so, I’d like to make sure it’ll work on my computer. Below is some information about my computer’s hardware:

Current OS: Windows ME
Hard drive 1: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 20 (one 19Gb FAT32 partition)
Hard drive 2: Maxtor 6E040L0 (one unused 40Gb FAT32 partition)
CPU: Pentium III, 800Mhz
Motherboard: MSI MS-6323
Chipset: VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
RAM: 256Mb
Video card: nVidia RIVA TNT2 M64
Sound: VIA AC’97 Audio Controller
Mouse: Logitech First/Pilot Mouse + USB
PCI Network: Accton EN1207D-TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
Printer: HP PSC 750 (700 series, USB)

Do you think QNX will work on this hardware? If so, what QNX version would be the best to use for me, as a newbie? Should I take QNX RTP 6.1 or QNX 6.2.1 NC (I’ve already downloaded the ISO images)?

Thanks

Hi,
You should use 6.2.1 or wait for 6.3 which will be available in the coming weeks. Your hardware looks OK, I think your graphics should even be accelerated with that card. Your ethernet might not, but an ethernet card is $10 so no big deal. But as always, there is only one way to find out…

Cheers

Garry

You could also boot from the 6.2.1 cd and run the live cd to test your hardware. The live cd does not however use all the included drivers, as its mostly the plain base os and a few common drivers. So even if the live cd doesnt work with all your hardware a full install of the os might.

Cheers :smiley:

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying. Glad to hear most of my hardware is supported, but are you sure that my hp psc 750 will work? It never worked under FreeBSD or any Linux distribution except for one time when I used Cups and a KDE Printer driver for the hp 500 series (mine is a 700 series).

What concerns my network card, it worked on FreeBSD, Linux and most other OS’s I’ve tried in the past. The only problem I had with all Unix operating systems was my sound card (VIA VT82C…).

As soon as possible I’ll burn a QNX 6.2.1 cd and give the OS a try. Thanks for mentioning that the Live CD only uses some common drivers, Wicked. If the Live CD doesn’t work, I can still try a full install then. And if QNX 6.2.1 doesn’t run, I can still try the upcoming QNX 6.3 :smiley:

If the HP is a postscript printer, it should work. Mine is an HP 1300n and it works fine as a postscript printer.

VIA chip sets can be tricky on any OS that is not Windows. I tend to avoid them whenever possible.

You think VIA chipset are tricky, try NVIDIA.