USB Mice and QNX6.3

A quick disclaimer, I am a complete QNX newbie as well as being new to this forum. Sorry if this is long, but I want to lay everything out.

Here we go:

Board Specs:
Intel P4M 1.6GHz
Intel 855GME chipset
1GB ram
2.5" ATA Hard Drive
usb keyboard/mouse
dual GB ethernet and a 10/100 ethernet port

I just did a partion install of the QNX6.3 demo. If I had the mouse connected to the installation, it would lock up. I removed the mouse and completed the installation.

On boot, I reconnected the mouse and it locked up again at “detecting devices.” Once again I removed the mouse and rebooted. Everything was working great. I reconnected the mouse again after a complete boot, and it was not recognized.

So, at this point I swapped out another keyboard, reconnected the same mouse, and it locked on “detecting devices.” Then I put the original keyboard back and a new usb mouse, once again it locked up. Finally I have a completely new keyboard and mouse, no joy.

At this point I thought that possibly the drivers were not loaded or loaded incorrectly. While browsing through the /dev directory, I couldn’t find the /dev/usbmouse0 that every talks so much about :slight_smile: Also, there is no /dev/usb. I have tried the commands:

devu-mouse &
devi-hirun msoft fd -d/dev/usbmouse0 &

Of course this didn’t work since there was no usbmouse0. I tried the linux command

mknod /dev/usbmouse0 &

But the OS can’t find that script. So I’m at my wit’s end… any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I had much the same problem, and got some help on this thread:

openqnx.com/index.php?name=P … +trackball

In the end, I ended up with something like the below, and that seems to do the trick.

io-usb -d uhci
waitfor /dev/usb
io-hid -d usb
devi-hid mouse

HTH

Garry

here’s a new twist… I can boot the machine and it work fine with ps2 mouse and keyboard. If I then unplug the ps2 mouse and attach the usb mouse, it works fine.

That IS weird. Welcome to the fun and excitement that is USB on QNX. I believe, with the USB mouse, your bios may be emulating the ps/2 port in the USB connection.

well, thanks to a friend of mine who’s much better with computer tinkering it went like this:

(only checked on 6.3)
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local add:

io-usb -d uhci
devu-mouse
devu-kbd

create /etc/system/trap/input.$HOSTNAME (was localhost on mine)

add the following as a single line:
devi-hirun msoft fd -d/dev/usbmouse0 kbd fd -d/dev/usbkbd0

don’t do any of that in the command line cause it will cause your keyboard to lock up if it’s USB. After you’re done, just reboot and you’ll be good to go. (so far I’ve only tested this with 6.3)

Ok, after much fiddling around in QNX 6.2.1, it’s obvious that doesn’t work :slight_smile: So any new suggestions on how to get USB mice to work in 6.2.1 would be great.

I have been able to load devu-uhci to create the USB stack /dev/usb. However, when I try to run devu-mouse, nothing happens. It seems like the base devu-mouse is broken, or I’m stupid, either way it’s not a good sign :smiley:. Step-by-steps would be wonderful!

This is how I fixed my USB mouse (Microsoft USB Optical):
(I would strongly advise hooking up a PS2 mouse until you get the following accomplished!)
In \etc\rd.d\rc.sysinit add the following:

devu-uhci &
devu-mouse &

It might be devu-ohci depending on your hardware. If you will bring up a terminal session in Photon and enter devu-uhci and devu-ohci, one will work and the other will fail. Obviously, add the one that worked to your rc.sysinit file.

Next open \usr\bin\ph and right before this line "if test $PHOTON -ef $PHOTON; then "
add this:

devi-hirun msoft fd -d/dev/usbmouse0

Your mouse will initialize right before the logon dialog appears.

Here’s a problem that somebody else may know the answer to. My mouse is a wheel mouse . . . I tried using “devi-hirun msoft -i fd -d/dev/usbmouse0” . . . the -i is supposed to mean it’s a wheel mouse but just freezes mine.

Can anybody help me out to understand

To get the usb mouse to run …in QNX 6.3

Should we use like this

io-usb -d uhci
io-hid -d usb
devi-hid mouse

devu-uhci
devu-mouse

Whats the significance of devu-mouse ? there is no help for this in QNX 6.3 docs,When we have to use , devi-hid mouse & when we have to use
devu-mouse

Please clarify
TIA

I am sorry i missed out OR, it should be like this…

Can anybody help me out to understand

To get the usb mouse to run …in QNX 6.3

Should we use like this

io-usb -d uhci
io-hid -d usb
devi-hid mouse

[color=blue]OR

devu-uhci
devu-mouse

Whats the significance of devu-mouse ? there is no help for this in QNX 6.3 docs,When we have to use , devi-hid mouse & when we have to use
devu-mouse

Please clarify
TIA

I will confess that I’m a QNX “noob” myself. That being said,

io-usb -d uhci &
waitfor /dev/io-usb/io-usb
io-hid -d usb &

seems to be the preferred method in QNX6.3.0 . . . among other things it recognized that my mouse had a wheel.

I added the above lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint after the section the defines “waitfor”.

I then added “devi-hid mouse” in /usr/bin/ph because it can’t start until after photon is started.

Thanks,

But can anybody explain about when to use devu-mouse & devi-hid mouse…Probabaly cdm can help me…

I recommend using the newer HID combo for two reasons. Firstly because it’s intended to superseed devi-hirun and secondly because it fully handles hot-plugging and devi-hirun didn’t.

Here’s the full script I use:

io-usb -d ohci -d uhci -d ehci &
waitfor /dev/io-usb/io-usb
io-hid -d usb &
waitfor /dev/io-hid/io-hid
devi-hid mouse &