OS image size

hello,

i begin testing a OS image with photon server, and i’ve a problem with the image’s size. If it’s more large than 3 Mo it doesn’t boot, in fact the screen show a lot of … , and stop there. I’ve read in the User’s IDE guide that we can use FileSystem Image (nobootable image) which may contain a lot of files to add to the bootable image, but i don’t know how do that with th IDE? And how mount this FileSystem in [rwx] ?
Thanks for yours ideas ,

fabien.

Yes 3Meg is the limit for a PC.

You need to create a file system, look at mkefs utility. This is well documented. I beleive the section is called building embedded file system

thank you for your answer,

… but i’ve always a problem : once I’ve built an image .efs with mkifs utility, how can i add it to my OS image (.ifs), my IDE builder can’t make that for me because it say the message= “unable to combine /image_photon.ifs,/image_photon-flash.efs into _/efs-image_phototn.bin”, i looked for the mkimage file without success, this file doesn’t exist in my QNX 6.3 evaluation!
In fact i’ve got a *.efs image but i don’t know what do with it ? and if i mount my CompactFlash on my QNX neutrino host and copy my filesystem, what do i write in the boot-script to combine both ?

thanks again

fabien

Hi,

I’ve had the same problem with images being over 3 MB and not booting. I’ve spent a fair amount of time Googling for solutions or instructions, but so far have found nothing. Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks.

-Mike

It’s all in the QNX documentation. What hardware are you setting this up for?

I’ve found QNX documentation, (eg. buildqnx) but a lot of it is for older versions of the OS and I’m running QNX 6

There is plenty for QNX6, it comes with the OS.

I’d like to note that some BIOS’s seem to have a smaller limit. I had a lot of trouble with an older Dell server with QNX 6.3 until I manually pared down the boot image by removing unneeded drivers.

Here is my Google search of qnx.com in pursuit of documentation regarding building a boot image:

google.ca/search?hl=en&q=sit … e%22&meta=

I have found nothing regarding boot images themselves, just references to them. Building a boot image that lodas my >3MB OS image is the only solution I can see, but I’m not sure how to do that.

The page on buildqnx did not aid me, as I can’t seem to find it’s source or executable, most likely because the URL says qnx 4.25

Fabien Fillion? Sounds french? Bonjour ;-)

Why go on google, it’s all in the QNX documentation. There is a big section on how to do that. It’s under QNX Neutrino Realtime Operating System/Building Embedded Systems.

There is also a section under “QNX Momentics Intergrated Development Environment/Building OS and Flash Images”