Where to get sample source for IPL?

I have the free version of the QNX RTP platform. I am working with a National Semiconductor Geode system that has no BIOS – just a 16-megabyte flash ROM that’s
mapped to the top of linear memory. I will thus need an IPL.

An old page on the web site <qdn.qnx.com/support/docs/neutrino_qrp/building/load_process.html> says this:

The IPL code is structured around the following directories:

/usr/src/nto/ipl/boards
/usr/src/nto/ipl/lib
The /usr/src/nto/ipl/boards directory is where the IPL source code is stored for a particular board (e.g. /usr/src/nto/ipl/boards/800fads contains the source code for
the Motorola MPC8xxFADS PowerPC motherboard.)

The /usr/src/nto/ipl/lib directory contains library files and further subdirectories. The files that reside there (e.g. image_scan.c) are processor-independent. Any
processor-dependent stuff lives in the appropriate subdirectory (e.g. x86 for the x86 processor family).

(and so on.)

Unfortunately, I don’t have these directories in my RTP installation, and I’m not sure how to get them. How I can get source code to QNX IPLs? Thank you very
much.

Mike Tsao

Mike Tsao <mike@sowbug.com> wrote:

I have the free version of the QNX RTP platform. I am working with a National Semiconductor Geode system that has no BIOS – just a 16-megabyte flash ROM that’s
mapped to the top of linear memory. I will thus need an IPL.

An old page on the web site <qdn.qnx.com/support/docs/neutrino_qrp/building/load_process.html> says this:

The IPL code is structured around the following directories:

/usr/src/nto/ipl/boards
/usr/src/nto/ipl/lib
The /usr/src/nto/ipl/boards directory is where the IPL source code is stored for a particular board (e.g. /usr/src/nto/ipl/boards/800fads contains the source code for
the Motorola MPC8xxFADS PowerPC motherboard.)

The /usr/src/nto/ipl/lib directory contains library files and further subdirectories. The files that reside there (e.g. image_scan.c) are processor-independent. Any
processor-dependent stuff lives in the appropriate subdirectory (e.g. x86 for the x86 processor family).

(and so on.)

Unfortunately, I don’t have these directories in my RTP installation, and I’m not sure how to get them. How I can get source code to QNX IPLs? Thank you very
much.

Mike Tsao

You need the embedding DDK, which is available by contacting betas@qnx.com. However,
that in itself will not be enough to get you going on a board with a Geode processor.
You will also need the Xpress Loader toolkit, which is available from National
Semiconductor. The Xpress Loader will do all of the hardware initialization on the
board, and when it’s complete, you will need to make it call the QNX IPL functions
(image_scan, image_setup, and image_start) which are included with the embedding ddk.
Note that there is no specific QNX Board Support Package for a Geode based board at
this time. However, most of the support you need is within the Xpress Loader toolkit.

Dave Green (dgreen@qnx.com)

QNX Software Systems Ltd.
http://www.qnx.com