devctl

ioctl() isn’t really standard and devctl() was deprecated for POSIX Approved
standard. Does POSIX provides an equivalent function?

-Mario

Mario Charest <mcharest@clipzinformatic.com> wrote:

ioctrl() is POSIX. (at least in the version marked year 2000)

-Adam

“Operating System for Tech Supp” <os@qnx.com> wrote in message
news:9pf5f4$785$1@nntp.qnx.com

Mario Charest <> mcharest@clipzinformatic.com> > wrote:

ioctl() isn’t really standard and devctl() was deprecated for POSIX
Approved

ioctRl() ?? Is that a typo?

if not the QNX doc says ioctl is a Unix Standard not a POSIX one.

Thanks.

-Adam

“Mario Charest” <mcharest@clipzinformatic.com> wrote in message
news:9pf5ku$am4$1@inn.qnx.com

ioctRl() ?? Is that a typo?

if not the QNX doc says ioctl is a Unix Standard not a POSIX one.

Sorry Mario, a typo it was… ioctl() is in the POSIX standard now. I’ll
mention it to the documentation group. Again, sorry for the typo.

-Adam

Hi,

Does it mean QNXRTP will provide ioctl() instead devctl()? I have found QNX’s devctl() has many
differences from Linux’s ioctl(). The CD-ROM control calls are major functions what I’m wondering
(I have not found at all many of them in QNXRTP).

Thanks,
Eduard.

Operating System for Tech Supp <os@qnx.com> wrote in article <9pf5f4$785$1@nntp.qnx.com>…

Mario Charest <> mcharest@clipzinformatic.com> > wrote:

-Adam

ed1k <ed1k@yahoo.com> wrote:

Does it mean QNXRTP will provide ioctl() instead devctl()? I have found QNX’s devctl() has many
differences from Linux’s ioctl(). The CD-ROM control calls are major functions what I’m wondering

ioctl() is provided (check in sys/ioctl.h for details) . ioctl is commonly used for terminal
control; much of the commands you send to hardware such as a cdrom is very driver
specific and thus will probably be different from Linux.

-Adam

Hi Adam,
Thank you for your interest.

Operating System for Tech Supp <os@qnx.com> wrote in article <9pv70j$6fo$1@nntp.qnx.com>…

ed1k <> ed1k@yahoo.com> > wrote:
differences from Linux’s ioctl(). The CD-ROM control calls are major functions what I’m
wondering

ioctl() is provided (check in sys/ioctl.h for details) .

Ok, I see my question was wrong. Once more :wink:
Are there any requirements in POSIX that current ioctl() does not meet them? Or am I wrong in
fundamentals? I’ve never read POSIX standards…

ioctl is commonly used for terminal
control; much of the commands you send to hardware such as a cdrom is very driver
specific and thus will probably be different from Linux.

I think ioctl() is common interface for control of ALL i/o devices. It hides driver specific. Am I

wrong somewhere? Of course, any command of ioctl(fd, cmd,…) refers to appropriate function of
appropriate driver. Yes, Linux’s driver (ide-cd.c) seems to full support ATAPI. But driver details
are not interesting for me. The list of CD-ROM functions in cdrom.h is more important for me. I
wish to write in my code
ioctl(fd, CDROM_SELECT_SPEED, speed); //for example
But currently there is not this command (and many other) in cdrom.h, and, apparently, ioctl() does
not support this command :frowning:

Thanks again,
Best regards,
Eduard.

ed1k <ed1k@yahoo.com> wrote:

Are there any requirements in POSIX that current ioctl() does not meet them? Or am I wrong in
fundamentals? I’ve never read POSIX standards…

POSIX talks only about streams interface for ioctl(). We support the POSIX interface to ioctl(),
but not it’s complete implementation.

I think ioctl() is common interface for control of ALL i/o devices. It hides driver specific. Am I
wrong somewhere? Of course, any command of ioctl(fd, cmd,…) refers to appropriate function of
appropriate driver. Yes, Linux’s driver (ide-cd.c) seems to full support ATAPI. But driver details
are not interesting for me.

There is nothing stoping a driver from not responding or implementing ioctl (or devctl)
messages. Thus I wouldn’t say that ioctl() is the common interface for ALL i/o devices.

The list of CD-ROM functions in cdrom.h is more important for me. I
wish to write in my code
But currently there is not this command (and many other) in cdrom.h, and, apparently, ioctl() does
not support this command > :frowning:

Check out sys/cdrom.h and devctl()

-Adam

Hi Adam,

Operating System for Tech Supp <os@qnx.com> wrote in article <9q742j$6qj$1@nntp.qnx.com>…

ed1k <> ed1k@yahoo.com> > wrote:
[x]

The list of CD-ROM functions in cdrom.h is more important for me. I
wish to write in my code
But currently there is not this command (and many other) in cdrom.h, and, apparently, ioctl()
does
not support this command > :frowning:

Check out sys/cdrom.h and devctl()

It sounds like I miss something. I have seen devctl.h (and I’ve read the appropriate article on the
web), sys/cdrom.h and ???-cam.h (I’m sorry for my unconsciousness). I have found the definition
for CDROM_SET_VOLUME (or something like, I’m sorry again, but it’s just an example ) command, but
not for SET_SPEED… BTW, SET MEDIUM SPEED command (BBh) is included in “Reduced MultiMedia
Commands (RMC)” working draft NCITS T10 1364-D. There is SET CD SPEED command (BBh) in MMC-3. Also
I’ve read “devb-eide driver supports ATA/ATAPI devices” in help. I think set of supported commands
(or definition set which I’ve seen) is weak. How to write the program for reading/writing CD-R/RW?
I want to control read/write speed at least. Or simply how to reduce CD-SPEED in multi-media player
for decreasing the noise of drive? BTW, it may be an interesting idea for Chris McKillop :wink: I
prefer to use the devctl() or ioctl(), but I can not see the way now…

Thank you very much,
Eduard.