diskboot

Hi,

The doc for diskboot says there is -o option to pass arguments for started drivers. It is used in
qnxbase.build to pass argument to the devc-con driver. There is an example to pass arguments to
devb-eide driver in doc. I tried to build custom image and I’d written
[pri=10o] PATH=/proc/boot diskboot -b1 -D1 -o “devc-con,-n4” -o “devb-eide,blk cache=2m”
in assumption the other arguments will “by default” (they will not passed to the driver and the
driver will use default options). It does not work! After rebooting I see (“pidin arg”) standard
line of arguments (and 12Mb disk cache) and my “blk cache=2m” at the end of line (I suppose the
driver just ignore it :slight_smile:. I did “strings diskboot” and I found the devb-eide’s arguments in it. Do
I have to write full arguments line? Or will I have double arguments in this case too? :wink:

Second question is
there are arguments for eide driver in the file /etc/system/enum/include/block
what is reason for it? This file can not be read during startup, because devb-eide is not running
yet. I guess any hard disk driver (in SCSI variant) should be running to reach those hard disk
options. Who does use the first line from this file? I know, second line is for devb-fdc, and it is
passed properly.
Seems like standard BIOS message “Keyboard not present, press F1 to continue” :wink:

Thank you,
Eduard.

“ed1k” <ed1k@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:01c15dff$8b9ab4a0$7b6fa8c0@ED1K…

Hi,

The doc for diskboot says there is -o option to pass arguments for started
drivers. It is used in
qnxbase.build to pass argument to the devc-con driver. There is an example
to pass arguments to
[pri=10o] PATH=/proc/boot diskboot -b1 -D1 -o “devc-con,-n4” -o
“devb-eide,blk cache=2m”
in assumption the other arguments will “by default” (they will not passed
to the driver and the
driver will use default options). It does not work! After rebooting I see
(“pidin arg”) standard
line of arguments (and 12Mb disk cache) and my “blk cache=2m” at the end
of line (I suppose the
driver just ignore it > :slight_smile:> . I did “strings diskboot” and I found the
devb-eide’s arguments in it. Do
I have to write full arguments line? Or will I have double arguments in
this case too? > :wink:

That was a bug with 6.0 which hasn’t yet been resolved with 6.1.
To solve the problem I got rid of diskboot together and start
everything “manually”. The script for that was on one of staffer
web page, which has been taken down, grrrrr.

I can post it if you’d like?

Second question is
there are arguments for eide driver in the file
/etc/system/enum/include/block
what is reason for it? This file can not be read during startup, because
devb-eide is not running
yet. I guess any hard disk driver (in SCSI variant) should be running to
reach those hard disk
options. Who does use the first line from this file? I know, second line
is for devb-fdc, and it is
passed properly.
Seems like standard BIOS message “Keyboard not present, press F1 to
continue” > :wink:

Thank you,
Eduard.

Hi Eduard,

ed1k <ed1k@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

The doc for diskboot says there is -o option to pass arguments for started drivers. It is used in
qnxbase.build to pass argument to the devc-con driver. There is an example to pass arguments to
[pri=10o] PATH=/proc/boot diskboot -b1 -D1 -o “devc-con,-n4” -o “devb-eide,blk cache=2m”
in assumption the other arguments will “by default” (they will not passed to the driver and the
driver will use default options). It does not work! After rebooting I see (“pidin arg”) standard
line of arguments (and 12Mb disk cache) and my “blk cache=2m” at the end of line (I suppose the
driver just ignore it > :slight_smile:> . I did “strings diskboot” and I found the devb-eide’s arguments in it. Do
I have to write full arguments line? Or will I have double arguments in this case too? > :wink:

Try taking out the quotes

[pri=10o] PATH=/proc/boot diskboot -b1 -D1 -odevc-con,-n4 -odevb-eide,blk cache=2m

Second question is
what is reason for it? This file can not be read during startup, because devb-eide is not running
yet. I guess any hard disk driver (in SCSI variant) should be running to reach those hard disk
options. Who does use the first line from this file? I know, second line is for devb-fdc, and it is
passed properly.
Seems like standard BIOS message “Keyboard not present, press F1 to continue” > :wink:

There is an eide detection that does happen. I am not sure how it works, but at some point
during the bootup /etc/system/enum/devices/block gets called, which uses the
…/include/block file for enumeration. I belive that diskboot starts up
hd driver which then mounts the partition that QNX is on. Then the enumerator
gets called to detect the other EIDE devices.

E.

Thank you,
Eduard.

Hi Erick,

Hardware Support Account <hw@qnx.com> wrote in article <9rc85s$jke$1@nntp.qnx.com>…

Hi Eduard,

ed1k <> ed1k@yahoo.com> > wrote:
Hi,

The doc for diskboot says there is -o option to pass arguments for started drivers. It is used
in
driver will use default options). It does not work! After rebooting I see (“pidin arg”)
standard
driver just ignore it > :slight_smile:> . I did “strings diskboot” and I found the devb-eide’s arguments in
it. Do
I have to write full arguments line? Or will I have double arguments in this case too? > :wink:

[pri=10o] PATH=/proc/boot diskboot -b1 -D1 -odevc-con,-n4 -odevb-eide,blk cache=2m

Thank you, I’m going to try it without fail :wink: I was confused by blanks in arguments and I’d
decided to use quotes (as in docs :wink:).

Second question is
what is reason for it? This file can not be read during startup, because devb-eide is not
running
options. Who does use the first line from this file? I know, second line is for devb-fdc, and
it is
passed properly.
Seems like standard BIOS message “Keyboard not present, press F1 to continue” > :wink:

There is an eide detection that does happen. I am not sure how it works, but at some point
during the bootup /etc/system/enum/devices/block gets called, which uses the
…/include/block file for enumeration. I belive that diskboot starts up
hd driver which then mounts the partition that QNX is on. Then the enumerator
gets called to detect the other EIDE devices.

I don’t belive so. At least if QNX partition is on EIDE device. My system has 2 hd, both EIDE. The

first one consists of primary FAT, primary QNX (QNX4FS in bootsectors signature and QNZ in fdisk
report, why?) and extended partition, the second one has three FAT partitions. Any my arguments for
hd in /etc/system/enum/include/block are ignored, but I repeat myself the arguments in this file
for fd driver are accepted. To accept the arguments for hd in this file, the devb-eide should be
restarted. The driver is single for all EIDE devices. I am not sure I wish the driver should start
twice during startup, so I wish to pass proper arguments through diskboot. The file
…/include/block just confused me.

Thank you
Eduard.

Hi Mario,

Mario Charest <mcharest@voidzinformatic.com> wrote in article <9rc02j$jde$1@inn.qnx.com>…

[…]

That was a bug with 6.0 which hasn’t yet been resolved with 6.1.
That’s what I wished to know.

To solve the problem I got rid of diskboot together and start
everything “manually”. The script for that was on one of staffer
web page, which has been taken down, grrrrr.

Yes I’d like, please. I have some troubles with web access > :frowning:

The your mail would not be recognized as spam :wink:
Thank you,
Eduard.

Hardware Support Account <hw@qnx.com> wrote in article <9rc85s$jke$1@nntp.qnx.com>…

This does not work since there is blank char in passed arguments. One of syntactical variant is

[pri=10o] PATH=/proc/boot diskboot -b1 -D1 -odevc-con,"-n4 -LP" -odevb-eide,“blk cache=2m”

But arguments for devb-eide are added to the end of standard (built-in) line. As workaround I use

devb-eide blk cache=512k &
[pri=10o] PATH=/proc/boot diskboot -b1 -D1 -odevc-con,"-n4 -LP" -xdevb-eide

Thanks,
Eduard.

Hi Mario,

Mario Charest <mcharest@voidzinformatic.com> wrote in article <9rc02j$jde$1@inn.qnx.com>…

[…]

I’m sorry to be importunate. Please be so kind and post me the script you’ve told about.

My e-mail: ed1k@yahoo.com
If you are using anonymous mailer or other technique to be anonymous, please send me via
unprotected mail box: ed1k[at]ukr[dot]net
Thank you.
Eduard.