pterm colors

How can I increase the brightness of the font or foreground color in
pterm? The current color is too dim for my aged old eyes (in medievil
times, I should be dead by now ;O) )

Scott

J. Scott Franko <jsfranko@switch.com> wrote:

How can I increase the brightness of the font or foreground color in
pterm? The current color is too dim for my aged old eyes (in medievil
times, I should be dead by now ;O) )

You can set up a palette file that defines exact RGB values for all the
16 colours that pterm uses. See the docs for details.

It is probably not a good idea to use the palette file for very radical
changes (like redefining black to be neon pink). If you want your
pterms to start with something different than a shade of white on a
shade of black, it’s a better idea to use the -K option instead (or in
addition to) a palette file.

Oh, I just noticed that the -K option is not in the docs yet (it is in
the usage message though). Here’s a short explanation:

The -K option takes one or two numbers in the range 0 to 7 – the
first for the foreground and the second for the background. For
instance:

pterm -K 07

will set your initial colours to black (0) on white (7). The
numbers are just indexes into the first 8 entries in your palette
file (see docs).

You don’t need to run all your pterms with the -K option – just do
it once, open the Properties dialog and save the settings by
clicking on the Done button.

\

Wojtek Lerch (wojtek@qnx.com) QNX Software Systems Ltd.

Wojtek Lerch <wojtek@qnx.com> wrote:
: Oh, I just noticed that the -K option is not in the docs yet (it is in
: the usage message though). Here’s a short explanation:

It will be in the docs shortly. Thanks.


Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
TechPubs (Technical Publications)
QNX Software Systems Ltd.

Where is the gui element that lets you modify the color pallete for the
pterm. It looks like the current -K option is 70. How can you query the
current pterm settings for those indexes to find out what they are? -K 07
gives me a bright grey background with black text. -K 70 gives me pretty
much what I have now, which seems too dim. The color pallet info in the
helpviewer document for pterm is very sparse.

I ran the permutations and none are particularly pleaseing so I’ll probably
change the pallet. I need a nice high contrast combination to ease the eye
strain.

Scott

Wojtek Lerch wrote:

J. Scott Franko <> jsfranko@switch.com> > wrote:
How can I increase the brightness of the font or foreground color in
pterm? The current color is too dim for my aged old eyes (in medievil
times, I should be dead by now ;O) )

You can set up a palette file that defines exact RGB values for all the
16 colours that pterm uses. See the docs for details.

It is probably not a good idea to use the palette file for very radical
changes (like redefining black to be neon pink). If you want your
pterms to start with something different than a shade of white on a
shade of black, it’s a better idea to use the -K option instead (or in
addition to) a palette file.

Oh, I just noticed that the -K option is not in the docs yet (it is in
the usage message though). Here’s a short explanation:

The -K option takes one or two numbers in the range 0 to 7 – the
first for the foreground and the second for the background. For
instance:

pterm -K 07

will set your initial colours to black (0) on white (7). The
numbers are just indexes into the first 8 entries in your palette
file (see docs).

You don’t need to run all your pterms with the -K option – just do
it once, open the Properties dialog and save the settings by
clicking on the Done button.


Wojtek Lerch (> wojtek@qnx.com> ) QNX Software Systems Ltd.

Sorry I missed mentioning this: If you can save the pterm -K settings with
properties (it works, I’m using 07 for now), how come you can’t set it in the
properties dialog? Why not impelement all the options whose properties you can
save, in this dialog. And a color selector for the pallet in there too.

“J. Scott Franko” wrote:

Where is the gui element that lets you modify the color pallete for the
pterm. It looks like the current -K option is 70. How can you query the
current pterm settings for those indexes to find out what they are? -K 07
gives me a bright grey background with black text. -K 70 gives me pretty
much what I have now, which seems too dim. The color pallet info in the
helpviewer document for pterm is very sparse.

I ran the permutations and none are particularly pleaseing so I’ll probably
change the pallet. I need a nice high contrast combination to ease the eye
strain.

Scott

Wojtek Lerch wrote:

J. Scott Franko <> jsfranko@switch.com> > wrote:
How can I increase the brightness of the font or foreground color in
pterm? The current color is too dim for my aged old eyes (in medievil
times, I should be dead by now ;O) )

You can set up a palette file that defines exact RGB values for all the
16 colours that pterm uses. See the docs for details.

It is probably not a good idea to use the palette file for very radical
changes (like redefining black to be neon pink). If you want your
pterms to start with something different than a shade of white on a
shade of black, it’s a better idea to use the -K option instead (or in
addition to) a palette file.

Oh, I just noticed that the -K option is not in the docs yet (it is in
the usage message though). Here’s a short explanation:

The -K option takes one or two numbers in the range 0 to 7 – the
first for the foreground and the second for the background. For
instance:

pterm -K 07

will set your initial colours to black (0) on white (7). The
numbers are just indexes into the first 8 entries in your palette
file (see docs).

You don’t need to run all your pterms with the -K option – just do
it once, open the Properties dialog and save the settings by
clicking on the Done button.


Wojtek Lerch (> wojtek@qnx.com> ) QNX Software Systems Ltd.

J. Scott Franko <jsfranko@switch.com> wrote:

Sorry I missed mentioning this: If you can save the pterm -K settings with
properties (it works, I’m using 07 for now), how come you can’t set it in the
properties dialog? Why not impelement all the options whose properties you can
save, in this dialog. And a color selector for the pallet in there too.

The -K option is implemented by sending escape sequences that change the
colour settings and then clear the screen to the terminal engine before
your shell (or whatever you’re running in your pterm) is started.
Trying to do it after something is already running might mess up your
terminal.

But I like the idea of having a palette editor built into pterm.
Perhaps this editor could also let you pick a -K setting for future
pterm sessions. I’ll add it to the “nice to have” list, but it won’t be
very high in the priority queue…


Wojtek Lerch (wojtek@qnx.com) QNX Software Systems Ltd.

Hi

You can change the foreground and background colors by starting
pterm -K …

Do a ‘use pterm’ for more info.

Chris Foran
QNX Technical Support

Previously, J. Scott Franko wrote in qdn.public.qnxrtp.applications:

How can I increase the brightness of the font or foreground color in
pterm? The current color is too dim for my aged old eyes (in medievil
times, I should be dead by now ;O) )

Scott