Creating a duplicate QNX / Bootable CF setup

Good morning!

I have an embedded PC board with a bootable, working QNX system on a CompactFlash card (slotted in the PCB).

I’d like to create an EXACT duplicate of this setup (same PC board with a CF slot, etc.).

Would someone have the kindness to guide me through the process of creating an exact duplicate of the CompactFlash card? Can this be done from a WinXP machine? Must it be done within the working QNX setup?

Thanks!

Bebert :smiley:

Windows can’t read the QNX formatted CF card. Maybe WinImage (www.winimage.com) will copy it. Otherwise, you will need two CF adapters in QNX and do a something like “cp /dev/hd0 /dev/hd1”

If the embedded PC board has a USB port, simply plug in any USB CompactFlash reader.
To run the USB driver:
io-usb -dehci
waitfor /dev/io-usb/io-usb
devb-umass cam pnp

You should have a /dev/hd1 at this point. Treat it like a normal drive. The copy command I use to copy one drive to another is:
cp -vpRNX
cp /.boot /.boot
cp /.altboot /.altboot

DON’T LEAVE OUT THE -X! -X prevents overwriting existing files. This is important so that you don’t overwrite .inodes and .bitmap. However, it also prevents the copy of .boot and .altboot, which is why they are copied seperately.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

P.S. That’s for QNX 6.3. 6.2.1 doesn’t have USB mass storage support and the package file system prevents the copy command from working correctly.