Using PXE to install QNX on remote machine

I’ve recently been doing a lot of research on installing an operating system over a network. I’ll list the progress I’ve made so far.

Set up a linux box with:

dhcp server
tftp server

I also configured the client PC to ‘boot from the network’, which it does. With the two machines connected through a switch, the client PC recieves an address from the server. The dhcp server can also send the client PC a “filename”, which it grabs off the /tftpboot directory on the server (which was all set up when i installed the tftp server – yum install tftp-server). This is the point where there are a few options. From what I’ve seen, you can send the client PC the files pxelinux.0, or pxegrub. Currently the network card that I have – Intel Pro 100/VE – doesn’t seem to be supported by the eepro100 driver provided by grub when configuring for a net boot. The grub prompt comes up but I have no access to the server. On the other hand, pxelinux.0 comes up fine, I just have to pass it a qnx kernel and maybe an initrd.img file. The pxelinux.0 config file for a linux machine looks like the following.

prompt 1
default linux
timeout 100

label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216 noapic acpi=off

I’m a little lost at this point. Are there similar files that could be created in order to boot/install a QNX machine? i.e., an equivelent QNX kernel and initrd.img file that I could list in the pxelinux.0 config file?

Does anyone know of an updated eepro100.c that supports the intel Pro 100 VE network card for pxegrub?

I’d appreciate any help or pointers.

Tim

Ok, so now I can get grub to come up. I installed a 3com NIC which grub supports.

Is it even possible to install an OS locally using PXE?

Just for some background. I have access to a lot of remote computers, some hundreds of miles away and it would be nice if I could remotely install an OS onto those systems should something go wrong. Or even just be able to boot from the network and get a command prompt with access to the local disks.