dinit from slave hdd

This is a bit short notice (I’m on holiday after tomorrow) but I’d thought I’d give it a try …

I have been trying various ways of automating quick recovery of a static HDD config that keeps on corrupting itself. (Nature of corruption is unknown at this stage, chkfsys doesn’t find any problems) The target system is a QNX 4.25D install done by the machine’s makers - “Cardscan”.

What I’m attempting at the moment is using a second HDD that has QNX NC6.3 on it and can be booted via 6.3’s boot menu. (Default is booting into QNX 4.25) On the QNX 6 HDD I have written a little script that repartitions and copies all the files from a pax archive on to the newly init’ed HDD after which everything is fine and dandy again until the next corruption. Well, that would be the case if I could get /.boot loaded correctly. Instead, it’s displaying: Press ESC for altboot…S

This general idea has been working fine reinstalling from another QNX 4 box using SCSI HDDs but now I’m trying to pull it off with both HDDs on the target PC and using IDE HDDs in a master/slave config. (The change from SCSI to IDE has a reason)

What I’d like confirmed is whether I’m simply falling in to a common trap dinit’ing the master disc while booted from the slave disc (I’m not specifying any special boot loader files. The command used is: dinit -qh /dev/hd0t77) or whether it’s a simple case of the QNX 6.x OS loader not being compatible with QNX 4.x?

Evan

Evan Hillas wrote:

What I’d like confirmed is whether I’m simply falling in to a common
trap dinit’ing the master disc while booted from the slave disc (I’m not
specifying any special boot loader files. The command used is: dinit
-qh /dev/hd0t77) or whether it’s a simple case of the QNX 6.x OS loader
not being compatible with QNX 4.x?

Problem solved.

After some more trial and error the answer seems to be that a genuine QNX 4.x OS loader is needed. So, I now have an image of the first block from another QNX 4 boot partition (The original is long lost).

Another odd thing had me tearing my hair out today, I didn’t know why I wasn’t getting QNX 6’s primary boot loader and also loosing it again after some effort with dd. QNX 6’s fdisk seems to want to put a version of QNX 4’s primary boot loader into the MBR of HDD’s that have type 77 booting partition. The trick to forcing the QNX 6 version was to specify it separately: fdisk -B /boot/sys/ipl-diskpc1 /dev/hd0 loader

Cheers,
Evan