question about QNX 4.24 OS installation floppy disks

hello all:
i have a suit of QNX 4.24 OS installation floppy disks . when i use “Dosfsys a=/dev/fd0 &” to check boot_disk , i don’t access /dos/a , i guess the reason is filesystem of boot_disk isn’t dos , is it right ? i want to know which is filesystem of boot_disk , how to access the boot_disk , because i want to check size and content of boot_disk , please tell me , thanks in advance!

What boot disk? You mean the 4.24 boot disk. It’s the QNX file system. mount /dev/fd0 /fd0 and you should see the floppy content under /fd0.

hello mario:
you said:“It’s the QNX file system” , is it 77 or 78?
you said:“mount /dev/fd0 /fd0” , why didn’t type of filesystem?
how to check size of floppy or CD?

mario:
when i use “mount /dev/fd0 /fd0” , screen display "corrupted file system detected " , why? The boot disk can boot install_program.

I just had a look at it:
The QNX-Installation-Bootdisk has a special filesystem. You cannot read or write on it.
I remember that there is a possibility to access the disks, but i dont remember how…

Ohhh, reaching back to the depths. The boot disk, not the other installation disks, is defintely the QNX file system. The floppy has no partitions, so you won’t see 77 or 78 on it. It may be offset some number of sectors. I recall at one time a boot disk that had a license signature near the front, so the root directory had to be pushed back. Maybe I’m thinking of QNX 2? If you spatch the disk, look for an early sector, before the bitmap starts, that has a / in the first two lines. This was a pointer to the root directory, which comes after the bitmap. The offset to this sector is offset you want to mount the floppy at.

On the other hand, there are scripts around that will create a QNX 4 boot disk for you.

The other install disk are written using vol, so there is no file system per say, but the boot disk should have a QNX4 filesytem on it.

hello all:
i have a suit of QNX 4.24 OS installation floppy disks . Beacuse i think that floppy disk is a unsafe storage media , so i create replacement(a new suit of floppy disk) QNX 4.24 OS installation floppy disks(use command : “dd if=*.img of=/dev/fd0”) . but i faild . When install program is running , screen display "waiting for /dev/fd0 to initialize " , I feel it don’t find my harddisk? when i use old QNX 4.24 OS installation floppy disks , there isn’t error . i don’t know the reason , so i want to compare the new disk with the old , look difference in them. i want to know command which check size and content of floppy.
maschoen , you said : "If you spatch the disk, look for an early sector, before the bitmap starts, that has a / in the first two lines. This was a pointer to the root directory, which comes after the bitmap. The offset to this sector is offset you want to mount the floppy at. " what is bitmap starts? “spatch the disk” , what is meaning?
you said : “there are scripts around that will create a QNX 4 boot disk for you.” , where is the scripts?