QNX and XEN

Has anyone tried to install QNX on the Xen hypervisor?

I haved tried to install it using the hardware virtual machine method on my dual core pc. I have got other operating systems up and running fine, but QNX seems to hang on the install after the ‘Hit Esc for .altboot’ line. It prints the '.'s to the end of the line, then just sits there. Anyone got any ideas on how i might fix this?

Thanks

BjP

BjP,

I have no idea what the Xen hypervisor is so I can’t offer much on that front.

However when your problem happens on a normal X86 PC it usually means there’s a problem with DMA mode. Try disabling DMA mode during boot (press ‘d’) and see if that lets you boot.

Tim

Doesn’t Xen require changes to the OS Kernel to be fully supported? I guess not if you say it supports a virtual machine hardware mode.

Thanks for your replies, pressing d doesnt seem to make any difference tim, was hoping for an easy fix there but its probably something a lot more complicated than that :frowning: thanks tho. I cant find a single person on the net who has tried QNX under Xen so im struggling!

The latest versions of Xen dont require OS Kernel to be supported, there is a way of setting them up in virtual machine hardware mode, so im running windows on my linux box too.

BjP

BjP,

Too bad about the ‘d’ not working.

Does the doc’s on Xen mention what kind of hardware emulation it provides in terms of HD, CR-Rom, Vid card etc in virtual mode? For example Virtual PC doc’s state what type of hardware the guest O/S can expect to find and since that hardware is supported under QNX it works. That might provide a clue to help determine why it’s hanging a boot time (for example if it only supports virtual SATA drives instead of IDE ones that would cause QNX to not boot).

Tim