Extracting a file to harddisk without revealing

I have a utility that needs to be copied to the harddisk under QNX ver 6. I don’t want my customer to watch the copying process, and I don’t want him to read the filename and where to copy to. The utility is supposed to run for one year only, in order to force the customer to re-install it periodically.
I know how to stop the original utility, replace it with my modified copy (same filename) and restart it, and I know how to write a password-secured script. When I do this by myself, i bring a usb-memorystick with the script and the file.
But now I want the customer to do this for me. So I need an executable that contains both the utility and the script to install it. Does anyone know of a way to achieve this ?

Best regards, Helge

Presumably you / customer are running this executable on QNX 6 and not on Windows (ie you don’t have QNX mounted as a samba drive). If you can run from Windows it’s much easier to do.

If you are running under QNX, are you running from a GUI or a shell prompt window? In other words are they double clicking something on the USB or are they going to run a command line argument from a shell prompt.

I would think you want either:

1. qnxinstall/packager - (I’m not familiar with this)
  2. A self extracting zip archive (SFX) - I believe you can create the SFX files using 7-Zip etc under Windows. The QNX version should then auto-runs your script (I hope)
    qnx.com/developers/docs/6.6. … z/zip.html

Tim

Thank you Tim !
I guess I’ll go for the WIN-created self-extracting ZIP, which means more than a little bit of reading for me.

Here’s some more information for others who would like to contribute : the customer may ‘run’ something either from a button or a shell. A QNX install unfortunately is not possible on our servers.

On my side, I use a self made update system.
In the target, there is a “Update” process which accepts a specific file. The specific file is some sort of zip file with a custom format. The “Update” process extracts the content of the file in a temporary directory then launches a “UpdateInstall” process (from the extracted files). The “UpdateInstall” process manages the complete process of updating the full target software.
“Update” is a dumb process (extract and run) and “UpdateInstall” is a smart process.

Nicolas