QNX windows 2 files locking

We have a couple of machines that are running QNX windows runtime 2.3 and support is getting thin from the oem.

They dial in and say that files got locked? and they unlock them.

It took them almost a week to figure this out they said we had hardware problem.

I’m not a Qnx programer can some one explaine to me what this is?
I am a plc programer and know dos that is about as far as my programing goes.

thanks

Tom

You don’t mention whether you are using QNX 2 or QNX 4, and there was a QNX windows for each of them. I don’t know all that much about QNX windows, but I’m guessing the problem was one of two things. Sometimes file locks are implemented by putting a “lockfile” in a directory somewhere. When the file is unlocked, the lockfile is deleted. If the system should crash, the lockfile remains.

A more QNX type problem would be a BUSY file. In QNX 2, if a file is opened for write or read-write, a busy bit is turned on in the directory entry. When the file is closed it is removed. If the system crashes while files are open in this manner, the busy bit will stick. Normally files will fail to open when their busy bit is on. Turning on a system and finding a file in this state can be either a nuisance, or a warning. When a file is being created, or extended, until it is closed there is the possibility that the disk is in an inconsistent state. Just un-busying the file can cause problems as the file system might be corrupted. If a file has already been created, and is opened read-write, the file system can be fine, although the internal state of the data could be corrupted. This is an application, not QNX issue.

So the bottom line is, if you have busy files, you should to the following.

1. Find the busy files as follows
    $ files 3:/ +v +b
  2. If the file is a log file that you don’t need, you are probably best off making it dissappear
    $ zap filename
  3. If the file is some kind of database file that you think might be ok, un-busy it
    $ chattr -b filename (Look this one up, my memory may be faulty here
  4. Make sure not files are open read-write
    $ fopen
  5. and Run chkfsys just to be sure
    $ chkfsys 3
  6. Pray that your data is ok
    $ pray:-).

If for some reason you have a 3 and another disk, eg. 4, you need to follow the procedure on each disk.

Thanks
The software is QNX WINDOWS RUNTIME VERSION 2.3.5
16 NODES

They might have said busy, sorry for the confusion.

I was thinking it was like the attribut on a dos file.

How do I exit their screens to check the files?
When booting up there is a log on the screen for a couple of seconds.

Is there any manuals or commands lists that I can get?

Is there a version of QNX 2 that I can purchase to work with it and not on our operating equipment?

Thanks again

tom

The software is QNX WINDOWS RUNTIME VERSION 2.3.5
16 NODES

I’m wondering what version of QNX, not QNX Windows.

I was thinking it was like the attribut on a dos file.
That’s right.

How do I exit their screens to check the files?
Are you in a QNX Windows Screen? I’m not sure, but try CTRL-ALT Backspace. If you are in a text mode, you might try CTRL-ALT +,
where + is the big plus key to the right of the number pad. You may need a login id and password, although there are ways around this.

When booting up there is a log on the screen for a couple of seconds.
It probably dissappears when QNX Windows starts. It will be there when QNX Windows stops.

Is there any manuals or commands lists that I can get?

Not sold by QNX anymore as far as I know. Hasn’t been support for a long long time. Over 10 years. I have docs, but they are quite precious.

Is there a version of QNX 2 that I can purchase to work with it and not on our operating equipment?

There was one. It’s not sold anymore as far as I know. You need old equipment too. Anything faster than a 486 might not boot. You can get around this sometimes by slowing down the processor. I have a PII laptop that I can do this by disabling the processor caches. I have three viable systems left running, and I’ll be I’m pretty unusual.

You can contact me directly if you want at maschoen@pobox.com.

What about contacting the 3rd party company that provided QNX Windows?

It was Basis Computer Systems and the author/owner if I remember rightly was Frank Kolnick.

It’s been forever (2002) since I used QNX Windows on QNX 4 and even longer (1994) since I used it on QNX 2 but I do recall that in 2002 Frank was still providing support for QNX Windows.

So he might have manuals or other things you could purchase assuming the company is still in business.

Tim