BOUNTY: KDE for QNX

I’m willing to pay (via PayPal) up to $100 to get KDE working on QNX 6.3.2. I don’t have any programming experience but I do graphics and tattoo art I can contribute for a specific QNX theme for KDE once we get firing on all cylinders.

What you say? You up for the challenge? I got a hundred bucks here to take QNX to the next level.

I see this type of posting all the time on Craig’s List in another computer context. Experienced reliable Web developer wanted, $15/hr. That’s barely minimum wage here in SF.

How much you want then, this needs to happen no matter the cost. I’m in for all I can do, who else can we get in on this? Imagine if KDE ran on QNX, publicity for this project would double usage.

You start at 100$ and then go to “no matter the cost” ???

I’ll do what I have to, even if it’s more like $200. I got a new job last weekend with the road department, so even tho I’ll have a little less time to help code I’ll have more money to throw at it.

two thoughts:

1. Whatever QNXtreme offers could be a starting point and others can pitch in to make it more.
  2. A few hundred is small for Mitchell or me in SF Bay area, but QNX experts in other places/countries may have a different opinion.

Back to the technical side, porting KDE to Photon isn’t feasible in my opinion. KDE for X Window, on the other hand, shouldn’t be too hard. I believe xtang and the pkgsrc project is trying to get Xorg packaged for QNX 6. Or, you can use the XFree86 port.

The offer for $100 was clearly a fixed bid. In exchange for the KDE port, $100 only. Let’s say you are in China or India. let’s say for the sake of argument that you are an “expert”. Let’s say you think $5/hr is a reasonable compensation for your work. Do you think it is likely that KDE could be ported to QNX in less than 20 hours? If you don’t think it is even feasible, that suggests to me otherwise. ;-).

Maybe I’m missing something here, but even if the bid were for $10,000, what exactly is the point in porting to KDE to QNX? Port KHTML/Webkit, sure, but the whole desktop? If wanted to run KDE, I’d pick a Linux distro at random and use it on that.

And like noc says, it would be on X11, not lovely little Photon.

Exactly thegman, this is pointless technicly speaking. All it would do is generate hype. There is a lot more useful stuff that should be done first.

KDE is way way down on the priority list.

1. Why can’t KDE be ported to Photon? X is a resource hog and completely defeats the purpose of running QNX.
  2. How the hell can you say this is a low-priority task? If we had a decent, popular desktop Linux users would switch to QNX in droves.

Unless ya’ll were joking…

We all know who the joker is here.

In droves? Are you an alien? You mean people would switch from LINUX to QNX because?

Oh let me guess.

• Because of all the books about QNX6
  • Because of all the support you can get from the community
  • Because it has more support for 3D ( ATI and NVIDIA will jump on this)
  • Because of the support for sound ( creative will jump on this )
  • Because of the faster file system
  • Because of the support for all those raid devices
  • Even more games then Linux

And most important because the world need another desktop OS.

But hey I would love to be proven wrong.

QNXtreme, don’t be too angry about the reaction here. The folks here are in business for ages and all enthusiasm is gone for a long time.

I understand that the $100 was meant as an ‘extra’ teaser to start the work, not as a payment for the work itself, which maybe an ‘enthusiast’ would have done for free. Unfortunately, a lot of the enthusiasm is gone, it probably vanished with the RTP and lacking support for it.

Don’t worry bro, I ain’t. I’m used to overcoming adversity, whether it’s fighting to get a good job or using a good OS. Just because QNX might be a little underappreciated doesn’t throw me off. The old-timers might let it get to them but just let’em try me.

Let’s hear some more positive comments instead of whining and moaning. I want KDE on QNX, who else is for it?

WHAT YOU GOT, QNX?

QNXExtreme, I think the problem you’re coming across here, is that there is no obvious reason to have KDE on QNX. I mean, if I wanted to use KDE (I’ll concede that I don’t) I’d just run it on one of the Operating Systems that it’s already available for. I just don’t see why making one OS (QNX) similar to another 10 misc. OS (Solaris, GNU/Linux, AIX, HP-UX, I could go on) will suddenly make it more popular.

When I first started to use QNX, what made it attractive was that it was a pleasant, lightweight UNIX-alike without the nasty cruft of UNIX, and with a very attractive snappy GUI which again did away with the cruft of X11.

I think to take any market share away from the dominate platforms nowadays, you need to offer a compelling reason. I don’t think making QNX the same as something else is a compelling reason.

I think your enthusiasm is to be commended though.

QNXExtreme, I think the problem you’re coming across here, is that there is no obvious reason to have KDE on QNX

Just like there was no obvious reason for KDE on Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc., right?

I mean, if I wanted to use KDE (I’ll concede that I don’t) I’d just run it on one of the Operating Systems that it’s already available for.

I don’t want KDE on some other OS, I want it on the one I’m doing work with. That OS just so happens to be QNX. I do real work.

I just don’t see why making one OS (QNX) similar to another 10 misc. OS (Solaris, GNU/Linux, AIX, HP-UX, I could go on) will suddenly make it more popular.

You might want to ask why those operating systems, at least the first two, are more popular than QNX. You might then want to ask yourself how KDE factors into that. That might not give you a comprehensive answer, but it’ll certainly give you a good start. I ain’t here to do your thinking for ya, bud.

When I first started to use QNX, what made it attractive was that it was a pleasant, lightweight UNIX-alike without the nasty cruft
of UNIX, and with a very attractive snappy GUI which again did away with the cruft of X11.

Okay, you’ll still have all that. If you don’t wanna use KDE, then don’t run it. Porting KDE to QNX isn’t going to force you to use it. Am I missing something here?

I think your enthusiasm is to be commended though.

Thanks, bro. Respect.

Here’s a different angle:

Instead of worrying about KDE on QNX immediately, focus instead on getting a QT/Phonon (vs. QT/X11) operable.

QT is an excellent development toolkit, so while some folks might begrudge a “desktop environment”, those same people are likely to see the benefit of a high-quality C++ tookit being ported to use Phonon natively.

Once QT/Phonon is functional; then focus can move to getting just kdelibs ported.

Once kdelibs - and whatever external dependencies are necessary - is functional, at that point it would be clear how much more of kde would be useful on QNX.

The QT/Phonon implementation will probably be a much easier thing to do once Phonon’s source becomes available per the QNX hybrid-license.

QNXExtreme: I’m not going to debate/explain each argument, waste of your time and mine. All I’m going to say is the foundry27 ( community.qnx.com ) would probably be the best place for anyone ( you maybe? ) to drive/coordinated a project like getting KDE on QNX. I don’t know who you should contact to get this show on the road but this is the place to do it. There are already some projects going on (like vmware support).

I realized I kept saying ‘QT/Phonon’ … when what I meant (hopefully obviously) was ‘QT/Photon’.

Phonon is a cross-platform multimedia framework. trolltech.com/company/newsroom/a … 2263733764

Is it time to develop a beautiful Desktop GUI environment for BB10/QNX? I for one would love to see QNX with a KDE, GNOME, Unity, type GUI.

I get what is being proposed and the counter argument. If you want KDE just go to Linux. I don’t want to go to Linux because QNX is better.

Does anyone know if a Desktop GUI is being developed? I believe we have Qt and Momentics IDE, so whats the next step?