QNET with multiple NICs

I have two PC’s which have each a wired and a wireless NIC.

If I disconnect / unplug the wired interface (en0) I can’t access the second PC via QNET using the wireless NIC. (TCPIP works)

If I unmount en0 on the calling PC QNET works over WLAN.

How does QNET works on multiple NICs ?
Is QNET only supported on one NIC ?

Qnet by default will load-balance across redundant links.

What do you mean by “calling PC”?

This might be an issue with timeouts. Have you configured the timeouts to qnet? How long did you wait to try and access the wireless?

Have you read the docs? (search for “Quality of Service (QoS) and multiple paths” in the IDE help)

With “calling PC” i mean the “master” node which tries to access an another node.

How long did you wait to try and access the wireless?

I am not sure. I will try it again.

Have you read the docs? (search for “Quality of Service (QoS) and multiple
paths” in the IDE help)

No. Thanks for the pointer.

Does the load balancing occurs at the ethernet level or at the QNET level. What I mean by that is that if a FTP transfer occur on one NIC using say 90% of the bandwith, will QNET use the other NIC in that case?

Any random packet will go down either link if it is available.

I think we’ve been down this road before, but basically, you can’t really get load-balancing to occur for a single thread doing MsgSend, because this is a synchronous call, and as such it can never fill the pipe. That said any particular packet from the send can go down either pipe, so it will “balance” with another application (such as ftp).

Does it have to be another application(process)? Wouldn’t a single process will multiple threads get load balancing if both threads were doing separate sends?

Yes, of course, synchronization is per thread. This is why I said “single thread doing MsgSend”. The other application was a specific response to mario’s question vis-a-vis ftp…