DVI under QNX4+Photon?

Almost all VGA adapters (various ATI Radeons) I tried didn’t work in graphics (Photon) via DVI cable, only in text console.

All the cards worked fine when connected via D-sub analog.
Before trying them through DVI I always made new detection (crttrap).

Is there any problem? Is there any trick to make them work via DVI?

Thanks

I assume the card has two connectors? D-Sub and DVI. That means your card has 2 “cards”. Photon probably detect the first one (d-sub) but doesn’t see the second one DVI.

You can try forcing it by editing the trap file and adding the PCI did/vid/slot ?

I’m afraid I don’t have a solution for you. All I can do is empathize; we have run into the same issue. Oddly, it’s not EVERY card that does this.

The first time I used DVI in Windows I had the exact OPPOSITE problem. I wouldn’t get any video until Windows was booted. Since that time I have refused to buy a video card with a VGA port on it. I use a DVI-to-VGA converter if I need an analog signal. Of course, given the problems involved in getting a working video in QNX 4 you don’t always get that option.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

Thank you very much guys for clearing the problem to me (two “cards” in fact). We worked around the problem by using the Analog (D-Sub) to DVI active converter ATEN VC-160 (limit is max resolution of 1600x1200 60Hz). The picture quality is very fine even with approx. 6m DVI cable - that was the reason to convert analog signals to DVI (through VGA analog cable the picture was flickering).

Any new solutions regarding DVI (on D-sub VGA+DVI graphic cards) under QNX4 Photon?
Have you anybody succeeded in making DVI working under QNX4/Photon (vid/did/PCI index…)?

I have the same problem now - IPC in 19" rack and “remote” (several meters) LCD display (1920x1200), PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse. In case of PS/2 keyboard/mouse we used 15 meters PS/2 extension cables, but no simple solution for VGA cable.
Any attempt to use longer cable (even high quality, thick, shielded, 2xferrite cores and only 3m long) leads to picture ghosts.
Strange thing is that the original HP (thin) VGA cable (1.8m) works perfectly - no ghosts, high quality picture in 1920x1200. Have you any explanation for that?

Yes, I know solutions with special hardware (analog to DVI converter or KVM through CAT5 “Ethernet cable” extenders - quite expensive for 1920x1200 resolution - and slight picture ghosts too), but all these solutions add some other (potentially unreliable) hardware.