WLAN: get list of available networks?

Hi,

when I have a WLAN-device working on my system, how can I get a list of all WLANs that are available for it?

Or is there some other documentation about WLAN access available somewhere?

I don’t know what you mean by WLAN. Do you mean what other QNX nodes are on the network? You can read /net like a directory.

Ahem…no, WLAN like “Wireless LAN” - that funny little thingy that you have in all modern Laptops now.

The whole situation is nothing less than a shame: QNX claims to support WLAN-hardware but there are no information available how to access and use them.

• Google finds nothing
  • the search function on the QNX pages finds nothing
  • code taken from Linux does not work
  • here within the forum nobody knows how to access the WLAN device?

So what kind of WLAN-API do we have? Is it a top-secret, stealth programming interface? Or just hot air?

Elmi

Well for better or worse, QNX the company and the last version 6.+ has been focused on the embedded market. They support a wide range of processors, and a wide range of hardware. But there are lots of holes when compared to the desktop market. A number of areas have been slow in coming. USB took a long time. It’s still problematic if you have anything esoteric. I find the support of OpenGL ES something of a joke. There’s one or two embedded board boards that have hardware acceleration.

The cause of this is simple. QNX is very directly market driven. When a big customer needs something, it appears. So the simple answer to your question is that no one has needed a nice desktop like solution, at least no one willing to pay for it. There is supposed to be a couple wireless lan chips supported, but what that means I don’t know.

ifconfig list scan ← documented with ifconfig

Or something like the following. Note wpa_supplicant
must be running first and have a line like the following
in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (doc’d with wpa_supplicant
and wpa_cli).

-seanb

cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

wpa_cli

wpa_cli v0.6.4
Copyright (c) 2004-2008, Jouni Malinen j@w1.fi and contributors

This program is free software. You can distribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2.

Alternatively, this software may be distributed under the terms of the
BSD license. See README and COPYING for more details.

Selected interface ‘ral0’

Interactive mode

scan
11:07:39.054: OK

CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS

11:07:43.271: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS

scan_results

That is not true in this case. According to their hardware database they DO support WLAN, so they must have a working WLAN interface.

Hm, both are command line tools where I would have to parse the output. Isn’t there a native WLAN support out of the system? I’d guess ther must be one after WLAN support is listed within the hardware compatibility list…